The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Ebay #

Brand NEW
Designed with decompress pressure gate, easily to adjust, stable and accurate CO2 output.
Magnetic valve to control on/off the CO2 cylinder
Operated with timer for better control the level of CO2
Working in silent
Recommended for planted aquarium
With 110V magnetic solenoid valve
US plug

247Garden CO2 Regulator w/Solenoid Valve 110V, Forged Brass Body, Nylon Washer, 4000 PSI Pressure Gauge, 0.5-15 SCFH patiable for Indoor Gardening & Hydroponics, Beer & Wine Kegs Brewing

Forged brass body and bonnet for maximum strength with 4000 PSI pressure gauge.

Safety relief valve is set for safe operation

Sintered metal inlet filter to trap impurities w/ nylon washer included.

No soldered joints for easy maintenance. 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed.

Product Description:

Interstate Pneumatics WRFCO2-S CO2 Flowmeter Regulator with Solenoid Valve. The solenoid valve is ideal to connect this device to an electric timer to automate the opening and closing of the valve at any time of the day and for any length of time. A great 3 in 1 unit providing regulator, flow guage and Solenoid valve. The regulator grow room hydroponics flow meter control. Accurately measure the flow of CO2, with this high-quality, rugged flow meter featuring self-centering flow tube and adjustable ball guide for easy use. WRFCO2-S attaches to any Co2 cyinder with a CGA-320 fitting.
Features:

Combines a precision regulator, flow gauge, and industrial solenoid valve
High quality CO2 regulator made from precision instruments
Designed for grow rooms and green houses to enhance CO2 to the growing environment
Increases the plants metabolic rate; speeding up growth rates and yields by up to 40%
A must for optimum plant production in high light intensity gardens
Pressure Relief Safety Device, Solid Brass Body and Fittings
5 ft 8” long – 110 volt UL approved 3-prong (household outlet) grounded power cord
Electrical Solenoid valve turns on and off the flow of Co2, optimizing the usage of Co2
Self-Centering flow tube keeps ball centered to assure flow accuracy (precise 0.5-15 Cubic feet per Hour settings)
Pressure gauge, brass alloy body, tank pressure gauge
Easy-to-read 1.5” Pressure Gauge 0-3000 PSI with indicator of when tank needs to be refilled
CGA320 Inlet, Maximum Inlet: 3000 PSIG
17 ft long black 1/4" tubing
2 plastic white washers

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Of those, I would only consider the first picture but I think the descriptions are not in line with the pictures. Not the same order?
Two are for greenhouses operations and not really worth spit for our use. The first picture has a glowing description but then they are trying to sell it?

Quote:
Brand NEW
Designed with decompress pressure gate, easily to adjust, stable and accurate CO2 output.
Working in silent
US plug
Warning:
Co2 can cause injury (suffocation & Asphyxiation) or death, ventilate the area before entering. Co2 is stored at very pressure and a liquid Co2 is at cryogenic temperatures which can cause injury, burn, explosion, or death. Co2 should be handled by a trained professional and extreme caution should be taken when dealing with Co2. For safety always wear protective gear.

Much of this is borderline true but fudging a bit? The warning seems to be way out of line with what most of us who use it find to be true.
What you are looking for is the same almost all of us have searched for when starting. But the bottom line is this. The Milwaukee set is "okay" and works for a time. But we also know that it does not last too well until we begin to wish we had paid more and find we are wanting to rebuy. This costs more than buying well the first time. But when looking at an item which is half the cost of the Milwaukee, I just can not recommend it. Half the cost may mean you get half the value.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hi SpaceLord,

Personally I would pass on all three; the first one appears to be the only 'true' "pressure regulator" but it does not have adjustable output pressure. The other two appear to be "flow regulators" typically used by the growers of an herbal substance which is illegal in most (but not all) states.

Here are some inexpensive single stage / 2 gauge beer regulators that would require the addition of a needle valve, bubble counter (if you use one....I don't), and sundry fittings. I use single stage regulators for my applications with a quality needle valve (Ideal 52-1-12). A quality needle valve will hold a consistent output bubble count so I don't use a bubble counter. I have let my CO2 tanks drop to zero (0) pounds of pressure multiple times and never experienced the dreaded end of tank 'dump' (EOTD) that some have experienced.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of those, I would only consider the first picture but I think the descriptions are not in line with the pictures. Not the same order?
Two are for greenhouses operations and not really worth spit for our use. The first picture has a glowing description but then they are trying to sell it?

Quote:
Brand NEW
Working in silent
US plug

Much of this is borderline true but fudging a bit? The warning seems to be way out of line with what most of us who use it find to be true.
What you are looking for is the same almost all of us have searched for when starting. But the bottom line is this. The Milwaukee set is "okay" and works for a time. But we also know that it does not last too well until we begin to wish we had paid more and find we are wanting to rebuy. This costs more than buying well the first time. But when looking at an item which is half the cost of the Milwaukee, I just can not recommend it. Half the cost may mean you get half the value.

You are correct, the description do not follow the order of the pictures. I did try to originally post the link to the Ebay auction however this forum things that you are trying to like promote your owe auction or something to that effect and automatically censors the Ebay links.

So what is the normal device that everyone on here buys? The Milwaukee or something different. To be honest you are the first person who has ever mentioned the this Milwaukee.

I know there was an expensive one called the Aquatech from California that I see promoted by lot of the planted fish guys on youtube however the amazon ratings did not seem that great.

Also, that warning was crazy. I just did a copy and paste and did not even read it. LOL.

Bottom line, can you send me a link or tell me what kit I am suppose to buy for this?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi SpaceLord,

Personally I would pass on all three; the first one appears to be the only 'true' "pressure regulator" but it does not have adjustable output pressure. The other two appear to be "flow regulators" typically used by the growers of an herbal substance which is illegal in most (but not all) states.

Here are some inexpensive single stage / 2 gauge beer regulators that would require the addition of a needle valve, bubble counter (if you use one....I don't), and sundry fittings. I use single stage regulators for my applications with a quality needle valve (Ideal 52-1-12). A quality needle valve will hold a consistent output bubble count so I don't use a bubble counter. I have let my CO2 tanks drop to zero (0) pounds of pressure multiple times and never experienced the dreaded end of tank 'dump' (EOTD) that some have experienced.
1. I think the first picture does have an adjusting, its just its the exact same color as the rest of the metal. If you look to the right, you will see like metal groves on the knob. Is that your only issue with the first one or do you think there are other issues as well?
2. Do you think the beer making equipment regular is a high quality metal/valve? Can they allow for a Solenoid to turn the C02 off at night?

3. "growers of an herbal substance which is illegal in most (but not all) states." unless a state has seceded from the union, they are still under federal law. The federal government can arrest them at any time especially if they had someone who enforced the laws. They would go into a federal court in which they are not allowed to use the fact that the state allows it as a defense and throw in a federal prison with other drug dealers of schedule 1 substances which by definition have no medical use whatsoever.
" Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Schedule I drugs are the most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe psychological or physical dependence. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote"
DEA / Drug Scheduling

Basically, its illegal in all 50 states regardless because the state's law does not override the federal law. I guess like an idiot, I assumed that everyone was buying these C02 for planted aquariums. No wonder I got those dirty look at the Home depot when I was demanding C02 resistant PVC flexible tubing. They must of thought I was a drug dealer. Now I'm probably in the DEA database. I guess it does not help that I also have a hydroponics system( Aerogarden by miracle gro)

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
1. I think the first picture does have an adjusting, its just its the exact same color as the rest of the metal. If you look to the right, you will see like metal groves on the knob. Is that your only issue with the first one or do you think there are other issues as well?
That is the needle valve you are describing. It may or may not be of questionable quality.

I believe what was being discussed was that the regulator itself would have a fixed delivery pressure.

2. Do you think the beer making equipment regular is a high quality metal/valve? Can they allow for a Solenoid to turn the C02 off at night?
Beer making equipment is a good entry point. If you buy the appropriate solenoid, they will work with any regulator.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hi SpaceLord,

+1 for Darkblade48's comment, I do not see an adjustment for the output pressure which could be an issue with some diffusers or if you wanted to run a manifold and feed CO2 to multiple tanks.

A beer / beverage regulator (or certain welding equipment regulators) may not be as pretty as some of the CO2 regulators we see for our hobby but they certainly can do the job and they don't cost $400. I got both my regulators off of Craigslist years ago and they are still working great. If it were me I would pick up a regulator and a post body kit with the fittings, needle valve, solenoid, etc and have a good system for less than $175.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
This is where things can get super complex as there are so many options or super expensive due to buying ready to fly. Most of us, when , starting, are not at all sure we want to spend the big money. We may want to quit after the first failure?
So let's assume we want to go as cheap as possible and still have something that works well enough to not drive us crazy and will last longer or at least can be repaired cheaper?
As there are hundreds of different levels, consider this simply one way that I find works for me. All the other ways may suit others better and I have no problems with those folks using what they like. Much of this can be changed and it is likely that you may as where you live may have a different market than mine.

I go to a local beer brewers place to buy a cheapish single stage reg with two gauges. I can walk in and save shipping charges.
Keg System Regulators
I use the 54.99 reg to get the [plastic handle. I could use the 44.99 but then I admit to being a bit spoiled? Big whoop!
From there I have gone on the search to find good quality solenoids and needle valves. dozens of different choices with an equal number of options.
This is a solenoid I like that is as cheap as I can find a high quality item. There are many posts about solenoids but I will say that you need to be very careful and trained well to get the correct one.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/905457-looking-replacement-solenoid.html

If I were new and starting from scratch, This is a way to find most of the parts at one place as well as cut the time/effort/heartache of figuring all the details from scratch. But it does cost more?
Old post with lots of different ideas and info:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/824049-new-co2-equipment-site.html
Bottom line is that it is expensive and from there it is often a matter of balance between what we want to do and what we can afford. Life does that a lot.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts