The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 48-Inch
OR
Finnex Planted+ 24/7 ALC Aquarium LED Light, Automatic Sunrise and Sunset, 48 Inches

or would you get both.....I am looking for lights for my 75 gallon. I was going to get 2 lights

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 48-Inch
OR
Finnex Planted+ 24/7 ALC Aquarium LED Light, Automatic Sunrise and Sunset, 48 Inches

or would you get both.....I am looking for lights for my 75 gallon. I was going to get 2 lights
Funny I should see this now, I had seen nothing about the ALC and just decided to grab a couple for my 75 gal just a few days ago. So far I like them. Plants are pearling like crazy! Algae not an issue as far as I've experienced. The light at full is a bit blue, but I'm coming from a Dutch BML fixture, which is very warm. I use the custom 24/7 feature instead of the normal one, and have sweet times and light levels at the amounts I think will work well in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
You might find this thread helpful. It compares the ALC to other Planted + models, but not to the FugeRay. I had trouble getting information about the ALC and that helped a lot. I think the FugeRay might be *slightly* higher PAR, but a main difference is that it doesn't have a remote and isn't programmable.

FWIW, I am putting together a 75 gal. build myself right now and went with the ALC, but I haven't actually used it and haven't decided about getting a second light. The light is an xmas present for me, so it's wrapped up and I haven't even plugged it in.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
You might find this thread helpful. It compares the ALC to other Planted + models, but not to the FugeRay. I had trouble getting information about the ALC and that helped a lot. I think the FugeRay might be *slightly* higher PAR, but a main difference is that it doesn't have a remote and isn't programmable.

FWIW, I am putting together a 75 gal. build myself right now and went with the ALC, but I haven't actually used it and haven't decided about getting a second light. The light is an xmas present for me, so it's wrapped up and I haven't even plugged it in.
One seemed to cover the tank well. I went with 2 to ensure I had enough at the bottom of the tank. It is most definitely high light. All of my red plants, under my last light setup would turn slightly red, but would for the most part be green, Just after a week under these lights, all of those red plants are starting to get really red. I have an Echinodorus 'Rose' that was producing some very nice bright pink leaves, but the 4 new leaves it has shooting out this past week are amazingly pink and BIG! The lights really did make the difference.

So far, no algae problems. I tend to run my co2 fairly high, and my fertz a little higher than the recommended EI for the size tank. We will see if I need to dial it back a little bit with the light amount at peak.

At full brightness, these suckers are BRIGHT!!! Much more so than my BML Dutch fixture I had before getting these ones.

I don't have access to a PAR meter, so figuring how much I am actually getting in the tank is not a variable I can calculate.

With the custom 24/7 mode. I set it with the following.
(each click of the button equates to 10% brightness)
12pm-3pm 10% red, 10% white
3-6 all full 100%
6-9 all full 100%
9-12 20% for all colors
12am-3am 10% blue, 10% green
and off for the rest of the time.

The transition between the different times is nice, and smooth. I rarely notice things have changed unless I think about it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
One seemed to cover the tank well. I went with 2 to ensure I had enough at the bottom of the tank. It is most definitely high light. All of my red plants, under my last light setup would turn slightly red, but would for the most part be green, Just after a week under these lights, all of those red plants are starting to get really red. I have an Echinodorus 'Rose' that was producing some very nice bright pink leaves, but the 4 new leaves it has shooting out this past week are amazingly pink and BIG! The lights really did make the difference.

So far, no algae problems. I tend to run my co2 fairly high, and my fertz a little higher than the recommended EI for the size tank. We will see if I need to dial it back a little bit with the light amount at peak.

At full brightness, these suckers are BRIGHT!!! Much more so than my BML Dutch fixture I had before getting these ones.

I don't have access to a PAR meter, so figuring how much I am actually getting in the tank is not a variable I can calculate.

With the custom 24/7 mode. I set it with the following.
(each click of the button equates to 10% brightness)
12pm-3pm 10% red, 10% white
3-6 all full 100%
6-9 all full 100%
9-12 20% for all colors
12am-3am 10% blue, 10% green
and off for the rest of the time.

The transition between the different times is nice, and smooth. I rarely notice things have changed unless I think about it.
Awesome, thanks for the report on your experience! There don't seem to be too many people running this particular model yet. I'll start with just the one and see how that goes.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the report on your experience! There don't seem to be too many people running this particular model yet. I'll start with just the one and see how that goes.
From what I can see, it was a fixture they were planning to release fully, but something happened with the manuf. that they were using, and they backed out. So they have a limited quantity of these fixtures available. And if they sell well, they might look for another manuf. to help produce them

The red growth is all new growth under the lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.