The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have a question. I completely confused by the number of Eheim filters out there...

I have a heavily planted 60 gallon tank with a relatively high bio load. I'm set on getting an Eheim but am unsure of what model. I don't want to pay 300-400 bucks but i want something that will be sufficient for the time being and provide me with the filtration that i need for my tank. I have pressurized CO2 right now and i'm just wasting it by using my HOB filters.

ANy help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have two Eheim 2217's on my 58-gallon heavy bioload planted tank. I like having the two canisters so that when I clean out one, the bio-filter on the other will keep working until the newly cleaned one is completely effective again and alternate the cleanings that way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should i get the Pro II 2028 or the EHEIM Pro 3 External Filter 600 w/ EHEIM Media?

The flow rate on the Pro 3 external filter 600 is higher. Anyone have experience with this one?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a 2217 and a Emperor 400 on my 55g (low tech) tank.

If you go with one filter you are unlikely to have enough flow. Plus, given the heavy load a single filter is likely to need maintenance much more often.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
should i get the Pro II 2028 or the EHEIM Pro 3 External Filter 600 w/ EHEIM Media?

The flow rate on the Pro 3 external filter 600 is higher. Anyone have experience with this one?
I tried to buy the 2028 this week but was told Eheim had discontinued it. i was sent the 2075 which i was led to believe is the same filter, bit cheaper to run but more expensive than the 2028. Also the 2075 has more media. At the moment i am trying to install it but not too sure what length to cut the hose to attach the outlet elbow to the nozzle pipe - the instructions are not very good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, thanks have watched this video. the part I am referring to he does not use. I think i have to cut part of the hose to connect the nozzle outlet to the elbow but this does not seem very water tight to me.

·
Registered
405 Posts
sheri, can you show me the part that you want to connect? If I see specifically which part you mean, I'll be able to tell you how to do it without any possibility of a loose connection and flooding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi here are the two parts I am referring to: the Outlet Elbow and Nozzle Pipe. I have to join them together by cutting some of the hose. However not sure how much of this to cut and whether it makes a difference if the Outlet Elbow and Nozzle Pipe are butt joined. which part of the tank should i place the outlet pipe (longest or shortest part) and should the inlet pipe be at the same end as the outlet pipe?

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Okay, Sheri...I've been using Eheims for almost 30-years and though they are a bit wierd out of the box, I've come to terms with them and now find them to be the best there is. But let me make a few suggestions so they'll be trouble-free and reliable for you. First, though, just tell me if the only part you're confused about is the return to the tank after the water comes through your canister or are you also having trouble figuring out how to hook up the part that takes the water out of the tank and down to the canister. Once you've told me that, I'll make some suggestions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay, Sheri...I've been using Eheims for almost 30-years and though they are a bit wierd out of the box, I've come to terms with them and now find them to be the best there is. But let me make a few suggestions so they'll be trouble-free and reliable for you. First, though, just tell me if the only part you're confused about is the return to the tank after the water comes through your canister or are you also having trouble figuring out how to hook up the part that takes the water out of the tank and down to the canister. Once you've told me that, I'll make some suggestions.
I am having problems with the return to the tank. However, I do need some advice as to which end the inlet and outlet pipe should be placed.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Okay, then....here's what I suggest: FIRST as for the intake from the tank to the Eheim canister...Look at the bottom-most picture you posted. The inverted "J-tube" you'd use to get the water from the tank to the canister. the shorter part of the "hook" of the J-tube goes goes on the outside of the tank and brings the water down to the canister by way of the green tubing that came with your Eheim canister. BUT, life with the canister will be much easier if you get this:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealin...pping+Datafeed&utm_medium=Comparison+Shopping

and put that on the tubing between the J-tube and the canister. With those, you can close them off when you want to clean the medium in the filter and disconnect the canister from the tank to take to the sink to clean it. What a difference it is to have those. You can also find them at

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searc...e tap&vendorname=Eheim&vendorcode=EH&parsed=1

NEXT...to hook up the return to the tank: Personally, I don't use the ones that you're considering using. I instead get another J-tube and put the shorter end into the tank. I use a small piece of the Eheim tubing to connect it to a barbed elbow which you can get at any HD or Lowes and then with another piece of short tubing you can connect the spray bar so it can be placed on the back glass of your tank, horizontally. I also suggest that you use a double-tap quick release on the tubing between the return and the out from the canister. That way, both can be disconnected when you want to remove the canister to a sink to clean it out.

A few more suggestions:

1. if you get the double-tap quick releases that I suggested, you have to be sure
that you get the right size that goes with your particular canister's tubing, so
you have to speak to a sales-agent of the vendor that you buy them from to
be certain that you order or buy the right size if you can't figure it out yourself
because Eheim uses a few different sized tubing.

2. when you clean out the Eheim canister, fill it with water before you place it
back on the tank. That way, the siphon action will start on its own and you
won't have any trouble getting it to start up again.

If you need further explanation of any of this, just ask.

·
Registered
11 Posts
NEXT...to hook up the return to the tank: Personally, I don't use the ones that you're considering using. I instead get another J-tube and put the shorter end into the tank. I use a small piece of the Eheim tubing to connect it to a barbed elbow which you can get at any HD or Lowes and then with another piece of short tubing you can connect the spray bar so it can be placed on the back glass of your tank, horizontally. I also suggest that you use a double-tap quick release on the tubing between the return and the out from the canister. That way, both can be disconnected when you want to remove the canister to a sink to clean it out.
Thanks for that. are you saying the return should go on the longest part of the tank at the back. the set up picture seems to put it on the shortest part of the tank. does it make a difference?

·
Registered
545 Posts
We have various Eheim 2028's, Ecco's, 2215-17's. They are wonderful, trouble free. As with any canister you should always have a gasket on hand, these need replacing every 2years or so. Like was mentioned earlier when you first open the box and look at this it is a little strange. But they work.
Bioloads....we have 2 goldfish tanks, 2028's on those and let me say they are great. 2028's does more biological the other for now Aquaclear 70's do mechanical. You can place a foam sponge over the intake and create even more bio. Placement of intake tube will also help deciding what you want the canisters main function to be. The Goldfish tanks have one 2028 & an hob soon the hob's will go away and each will have a 2215. They kick out some major waste and these filters do the job. They are so silent you really don't know they are running. All of mine have been purchased used and have been careful where they came from, but still no real issues. NO LEAKING!!!!
They can be intimidating, but soon you will have a comfort level of how to clean and maintenance these guys. Mine are only opened up about every 3 months. So much easier than an HOB filter. Parts are readily available.
Need anything just ask, many members here have Eheims to help with trouble shooting.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks for that. are you saying the return should go on the longest part of the tank at the back. the set up picture seems to put it on the shortest part of the tank. does it make a difference?
You can really decide for yourself. Like cocobid mentioned, after a while everything about the Eheim will be simple to understand. I always have my return on the back glass but I was actually just thinking recently about moving it to the side glass. I suppose that having the tallest plants growing in the back of the tank, having the spray-bar there may blow them forward if you let them get tall enough before a trimming. If it's on the side glass pushing the water, say...from left to right...then you may not have that kind of problem. And, it also might make for a better flow to equalize your CO2 throughout the tank. So...you decide but I'm starting to convince myself as I'm typing this right now...that the side might well be a better choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks for all the responses - I still have a learn way to go but enjoying the learning experience. BTW would anyone put Eco-complete in their tanks with goldfish?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts