The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 38 gallon tank with a standard 24" fixture on the top. (T8) I don't have the cash just now to upgrade my lighting, but I do have a choice of several different bulbs: a "Super Daylight" bulb, 17W 6500 Kwith a CRI of 98; a "50/50" bulb (6500K trichromatic daylight/actinic 420 phosphor) which is also 17W; and a 17W 8000K standard bulb that came with the fixture. Which of these lights would be the best for me to use to add a few low light/low maintenance plants? Also, which plants could I get and successfully grow for each type of light? I do realize that this is not going to be a good lighting system in the long run, and do plan to upgrade soon, but would like to perhaps add a few plants in the meantime if I can do so without killing them. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would go with the Super Daylight as my first choice, the 8000K then the 50/50 since 420nm lighting is more for coral coloration enhancement.
Thanks for the reply. I had the Super Daylight bulb in for about a week, but I did not like the dull washed out green look that the bulb gave the tank and the fishes in it. Is this supposed to look like that? Is there a major difference in the way that light looks and the wavelengths that plants need to grow? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I had the Super Daylight bulb in for about a week, but I did not like the dull washed out green look that the bulb gave the tank and the fishes in it. Is this supposed to look like that? Is there a major difference in the way that light looks and the wavelengths that plants need to grow? Thanks again.
No there isn't to the best of my knowledge. Look into getting GE6500K bulbs. They are very good and not very expensive either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.