The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 3 different moss types. Christmas, Pellia and Taiwan Moss. I have a 55gallon community tank, 15gallon cherry tank and a 20gallon high which is going to be a crystal tank. Im putting a moss wall into either the 15G or 20G, or could do both with a smaller moss BG.

Which moss do you think would be better in which tanks? All three tanks have bogwood but only the 15g [java fern] and the 55g have other plants. The 20G is only going to have moss and a Aponogeton madagascariensis [maybe].
I would like to mix the mosses as little as possible. Iv heard Pellia spreads fast, would it kill/overtake other plants? Should I maybe put 2 moss types in one shrimp tank and 1 in the other shrimp tank and later add my Marimo balls to the 55gallon?

Oh also which moss would be best for the moss wall in your opinion? If I do only one tank with the wall.

I also got a Aponogeton madagascariensis. I was thinking I would put this into the 20G. But what type of light is best for it? I have Eco complete but would it need CO2 as well as Im Not planning on adding CO2 to the shimp tanks. I figured I would get use to putting CO2 into a big tank with fish before into a small tank with shrimp. And would snails bother it? If not then it might go into the 55gallon tank.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just bought 3 different moss types. Christmas, Pellia and Taiwan Moss. I have a 55gallon community tank, 15gallon cherry tank and a 20gallon high which is going to be a crystal tank. Im putting a moss wall into either the 15G or 20G, or could do both with a smaller moss BG.

Which moss do you think would be better in which tanks? All three tanks have bogwood but only the 15g [java fern] and the 55g have other plants. The 20G is only going to have moss and a Aponogeton madagascariensis [maybe].
I would like to mix the mosses as little as possible. Iv heard Pellia spreads fast, would it kill/overtake other plants? Should I maybe put 2 moss types in one shrimp tank and 1 in the other shrimp tank and later add my Marimo balls to the 55gallon?

Oh also which moss would be best for the moss wall in your opinion? If I do only one tank with the wall.

I also got a Aponogeton madagascariensis. I was thinking I would put this into the 20G. But what type of light is best for it? I have Eco complete but would it need CO2 as well as Im Not planning on adding CO2 to the shimp tanks. I figured I would get use to putting CO2 into a big tank with fish before into a small tank with shrimp. And would snails bother it? If not then it might go into the 55gallon tank.
Not to be too technical, but Pellia is a liverwort, not a moss. Little pieces will break off and float around the tank, and grow into bigger pieces. That's how it spreads, very similar to Riccia. It can be annoying but won't kill/overtake other plants. As far as keeping the mosses apart, some mosses are hard to tell apart, but that's not the case with Taiwan and Christmas. Taiwan is a Taxiphyllum sp. species so it feels very soft in your hand. Christmas is a Vesicularia species so it feels rough in your hand. Once you feel the difference you will be able to tell the two apart visually. As far as which would be better for which tank, I would just try whatever feels right. Mosses grow differently depending on water conditions so you just have to try them out in your tanks. Both mosses work well for walls, I would use whichever one you have more of since it takes a lot to make a whole wall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts