The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which option?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I've almost completely made up made mind that I want to use MHs to light my 91L (a 90P except 1 cm longer).

The tank is 3 feet long. I'm either considering one 150W fixture from here or two 70W fixtures. The one 150W fixture would be considerably cheaper, but I don't know how good the spread would be. The fixture(s) would be raised at least a foot to accommodate for emersed plants grown on the top of the drift wood, but I still don't know if one fixture would be enough to ensure that the edges of the tank are well lit..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just bought a 70W MH fixture from the folks at here, and so far I'm very pleased. It's simple, sturdy enough, and a great value assuming it's lifespan is decent. I have it over 1/2 my 90 gal, along with a mongrel collection of PC flourescents. Still searching for the "Holy Grail" of just the right lighting combination....

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just bought a 70W MH fixture from the folks at here, and so far I'm very pleased. It's simple, sturdy enough, and a great value assuming it's lifespan is decent. I have it over 1/2 my 90 gal, along with a mongrel collection of PC flourescents. Still searching for the "Holy Grail" of just the right lighting combination....
If you were to hold the light over the middle of the tank, how much dark area would there be on the ends? (I'm assuming you have the standard 4ft 90 gallon tank)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I pulled the other lights off and centered the 70W over 1/2 the tank since there is a center brace in my not-as-sexy-as-your-rimless-GLA tank. Hope the picture comes through OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I certainly claim no expertise when it comes to lighting, but I'd say either go with two 70W MH fixtures or one with a couple of T5 or CF's on the side. Have you looked at FNI's T5's? Though I haven't tried it (I plan to) it seems pretty easy to breed their fixtures together.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I certainly claim no expertise when it comes to lighting, but I'd say either go with two 70W MH fixtures or one with a couple of T5 or CF's on the side. Have you looked at FNI's T5's? Though I haven't tried it (I plan to) it seems pretty easy to breed their fixtures together.
Yes, I was really interested in the MH/T5HO combo, but that would cost a bit, and the fixture would be wider than my tank. lol (or close to it, maybe one inch less)

How hot does yours get? I expect it to be hot, but I'm just curious how hot. Do they have seperate ballasts, or are they built in?

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you look at the way they nest together, it comes out to less than if you just add up all the width dimensions. I expected it to get hotter than it actually does, it's very lightweight and doesn't seem to hold much heat. The ballast is separate. I have mine mounted underneath my stand.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you look at the way they nest together, it comes out to less than if you just add up all the width dimensions. I expected it to get hotter than it actually does, it's very lightweight and doesn't seem to hold much heat. The ballast is separate. I have mine mounted underneath my stand.
That's good news.
It looks like I just might go with 2x70 watters then. :)

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I like the look of two alot better personally. It just feels like the tank is larger than having a fairly large gap side to side with one. I vote for two off of that, though I have never used a MH. I know that probably doesn't help much but should look really slick. I am thinking of going MH on my next tank for looks alone (emersed growth as well).

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aquamedic now has a decent pendant you may want to consider. It seems those reflectors(Fishneedit) are sub par :(
That's what that ashappard said at APC, but I've been searching around on nanoreef and I haven't heard anything bad about the reflectors. I think I'll but the two 70W pendants. Apparently the ballasts are made by Philips.
I also found this over at NR. He said he had the fixture 12 inches above the water.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214091&st=20&start=20#
badbread said:
Totally disagree on a single MH lamp for 36". When I put the single 250w over my 40 breeder there wasn't a little shading, there was a lot. I was using a SE Lumenarc mini reflector which is suppose to have a lot of spread. Maybe a different reflector would do better but the Lumenarc III mini was a no go.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.