The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While i'm in the shopping phase, I'm looking for a light for my newest tank. It's a 45 rimless, 24x24x18. Looking to do some sort of gooseneck or hanging fixture. Going high tech, but still want to keep it budget friendly. I'm not attached to any brands in particular, I just want something that works and doesn't look too ghettofied. I'd like to keep the fixture suspended another foot or so above the tank if possible, to allow for above surface growth.

So, suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just found out from my LFS most aquarium lights are built for 25cm height tanks. I have a 30cm height tank so am not getting much growth with my HC. Am looking for more information to verify this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
If your trying to stay low on the budget, but want high tech pendant, can't go wrong with a Kessil A160W Tuna Sun with either the gooseneck or type A mount. If you have more to spend, an A360WE Tuna Sun is an amazing light. Both will cover a 2ftx2ft cube and have the penetration you need. The 360 will have that extra power if needed however.

Take a look at my journal and let me know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of the e27 gooseneck fixtures but I don't want to have a bunch of stuff hanging near the tank if I can help it. I ended up taking a chance, going with a chinese shxx-box 165w dimmable LED. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on them, so we'll see. If it ends up being junk, I'll most likely put it on my 29 biocube for a reef light and then end up going with the kessil tuna on a gooseneck mount. Planning to do a dutch aquascape, so adequate coverage and intensity is going to be a major concern once things fill in. I may do a build thread if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have used a gooseneck E27 on a Fluval Chi in the past and it was great. With this current setup I don't have much time to do the DIY approach though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
He is saying that you received bad information. Aquarium lights are not typically designed for 25cm height tanks. They are designed to be effective at nearly twice that distance from the substrate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.