The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which light option would be best for my 29G? "SkyAqua"

598 7
Hello! ☺

I am in the process of getting CO2 and new upgraded lighting for my 29G tank. I need to buy the light from my LFS that has limited options because I am broke, but I have gift cards for this shop.

Options: SkyAqua Planted Tank Light or SkyAqua Marine Light

So the obvious choice would be the freshwater, planted tank light. But my LFS mostly specializes in marine keeping so they don't reorder often the freshwater lights, and they're currently out of the 30"-36" light. My tank is 30" long and 18" deep so I'm not sure I could get away with a smaller freshwater light from SkyAqua. I could maybe do two 12"-18"? They do have the marine light though in two sizes that would fit my tank, and since it's adjustable with a remote, I was thinking maybe I could adjust it be a better freshwater light. Up the reds, go down on the blues? Reduce the brightness? 🤔 It's a pretty high PAR rating at a depth of 12" so maybe it would be a good fit for my deeper tank since I have a few high light plants. I really, REALLY don't understand all these new LED lights and PAR ratings, even after reading, so any help is very much appreciated!

Tank: 29G
Co2: Recommendations also welcome cause again, broke, turns out kids and homes are expensive. :ROFLMAO: Currently using the CO2 tablets just until I can get a system in. Have seen improved growth with them.
Substrate: Flourite gravel, Flourite sand, and Caribsea sand for non-planted parts of the tank.
Fertilizer: Easy Green - Aquarium CoOp
Current light: Random cheap LED for planted tanks from Amazon.
Plants:
Lemna minor - no growth or new plants
Echinodorus grisebachii - looking good
Anubias congensis - mostly good with new growth
Bolbitis heteroclita - tons of baby plants sprouting up
Hemianthus glomeratus - this things is a weed and I love it
Ludwigia arcuata - looks sad on the parts that are red, but new green growths emerging
Ludwigia inclinata v. inclinata - it's turning white/pink and looks depressed
Ludwigia repens - growing pretty good but loosing the red
Alternanthera reineckii 'Rosanervig' - actually growing great and has kept it's red
Najas guadalupensis - also growing well

Literally any help is appreciated. I used to keep Mbuna, so this is a whole different experience. I'm willing to make the effort, even with a tight bank account. Thanks in advance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would hold out for the freshwater version if those are your only choices. The marine version will have an entirely different spectrum, not well suited for plants. You may be able to dim some LEDs to get a better spectrum, but the intensity of the light would be SIGNIFICANTLY reduced, rendering it pretty useless and a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It sounds like most of your plants are doing well enough. I would wait, maybe ask them if they have an eta on the longer planted light. Though if you plan on doing co2 injection, I'd save for a better light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would hold out for the freshwater version if those are your only choices. The marine version will have an entirely different spectrum, not well suited for plants. You may be able to dim some LEDs to get a better spectrum, but the intensity of the light would be SIGNIFICANTLY reduced, rendering it pretty useless and a complete waste of money.
Thank you for responding. I'm unsure if or when they'll restock. It's been a while now with no response on my request for them to restock it. Hopefully soon. And yes, long story short, these truly are my only options for the long term foreseeable future.

I fear that the planted light is not going to be strong enough for a injected CO2 tank though (what I am aiming for), with my tank being 18" high. Maybe 2 light together would work?

It sounds like most of your plants are doing well enough. I would wait, maybe ask them if they have an eta on the longer planted light. Though if you plan on doing co2 injection, I'd save for a better light.
For now, yes, though I am having to remove diatoms often. I had another light, and saw more growth with it, but it just busted so now I am only running one light.

As of now, I have received no response to my request to restock the lighting.

I do plan to do injected CO2 though I will probably go a more DIY route. Not soda bottle DIY, but maybe salvage together some sort of system from various parts around the web.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I fear that the planted light is not going to be strong enough for a injected CO2 tank though (what I am aiming for), with my tank being 18" high. Maybe 2 light together would work?
If your current light, and the sky aqua are dimmable, you could run them together. The two small plant sky aquas run side by side lengthwise, and your current light in front or behind. Just start them all together at 50% and increase over time until you find the sweet spot. With a timer seems like it could work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to get the 30-36" inch SkyAqua eventually! :) I have it and the old LED running together. They're not dimmable but so far, they seem to be working for moderate light plants. The high light plants perished before the SkyAqua arrived.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts