The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40breeder that I has been slowly turning planted. It has Wysteria, a couple types of moss, and just recently riccia and dwarf hairgrass.

The light strip is just a cheap one from Petsmart that came with the tank. The bulb in there right now is a Hagen Life-Glo 24", 20watt, 6700K. I know this isn't much light but there isn't many single bulbs that have more wattage. I am considering the Hagen Power-Glo T5 24watt, 18000K. I am just concerned with the kelvin temp., is this just way too much for a planted tank? Any suggestions would be helpful, the riccia has only been in the tank a couple days and is turning a little brown, I don't know if its due to acclimating or what.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
That's not enough light. A new bulb won't fix it. And you don't want an 18000k bulb, which is way too blue.

Look at the cheap coralife T5 fixtures with two bulbs. Under $50.

Riccia needs bright light.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If I remember correctly Riccia needs CO2, and lots of it, to grow well. Adding more light might be helpful, but without good CO2 I'm not sure how well Riccia will grow. Ricccia is a floating plant too, so if it is floating, it already has plenty of light, and it can only be CO2 that is the problem. But, if you have it tied down, on rocks, for example, it might be short of light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts