The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on doing a HC carpet and wanted to know if 2 10 watt LED flood lights would be enough light in a 21 x 10 x 10 tank? or should I be leaning towards building a custom light with Cree 1 watt leds?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am planning on doing a HC carpet and wanted to know if 2 10 watt LED flood lights would be enough light in a 21 x 10 x 10 tank? or should I be leaning towards building a custom light with Cree 1 watt leds?
I'm a noob so not sure how valid my advice is but that is a lot of wattage - are you planning co2? If so then I would say it would carpet nicely.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You have to ask yourself do you know enough about scratch-building electronic projects with semiconductors?

I've built electronic speed controls for electric R/C model aircraft, yet I'm not too keen on building a light system out of parts, when I could easily make a pendant LED flood light system from readily available home improvement bits, that are pretty much going to work when plugged in.

Your call of course.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have to ask yourself do you know enough about scratch-building electronic projects with semiconductors?

I've built electronic speed controls for electric R/C model aircraft, yet I'm not too keen on building a light system out of parts, when I could easily make a pendant LED flood light system from readily available home improvement bits, that are pretty much going to work when plugged in.

Your call of course.
I would say the same thing about ESCs - plenty of good ones for purchasing.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I would say the same thing about ESCs - plenty of good ones for purchasing.
In my case I built a special ESC that I could adjust the cut-off voltage for smaller cell packs for light slope lift with a electric glider, back in the dark old NiCad/NimH cell days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.