The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to list the LFS with a decent plant selection:

Brooklyn Zoo & Aquarium Pet Store.

A little far for those without a car, but I got a great Ludwigia Inclinata var 'Cuba' there.

What other LFS would people recommend for plants?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've bought all my plants from Petco (union square in particular, seems to be their flagship in nyc. lots of varieties of plants now) and Pacific on Delancy. Win and 123 aquarium doesn't have much. Fishtown USA in bayside also had a lot the one time I visited. New World up around 38th st and 3rd ave, i believe, also had a decent bunch. Royal Aqua World (65th st and 8th ave in brooklyn) had a lot one time and was almost empty a second time I went there. Pacific threw in a plant for me since I was buying a bunch. Pricewise, I believe I overpaid for all my plants. From what I've read on this site; it seems nothing beats buying from the members on this forum.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also got some plants from Pacific. It had a decent
selection even carrying some Ludwigia var 'Rubin', over the summer.

I recently got some Mermaid weed from Royal Aqua World, which had a nice selection of plants when I was there.

And I did get some plants from hobbyists and stores online. Some were good deals, some were ripoffs. With local fish storse you can see what you are getting and don't have to worry about shipping cost.
Once the shipping cost are taken into place, the prices are about the same.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It's definitely better to be able to pick them out in person. Especially now that its winter and you can get them home ASAP.

·
Registered
67 Posts
New World Aquarium on 38th b/w 2nd and 3rd has a nice selection.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've always thought New World, Pacific and Royal Aqua were the best for plants in NYC, though each can go through pretty bad spans.

I occasionally get some at Petco Union Square as well, and various Petland Discounts when they have clearances.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Royal Aqua use to have a better selection (about two years ago.) Now they only have the two large tanks. They used to have 4 tanks, the two current and the two on the top that house goldfish now.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
best to get it from local memebers, prices at New World are very high.
Pacific is better.
Cameo on Jamaica had some nice low light plants, really nice looking tall swards anubias.
Fishtown has good stuff, but you will need a car.

·
Registered
602 Posts
not a fan of new world prices are jacked up and service is rude if you go into pacific on the right day (one or two days after their plant order arrives) but usually the cool plants like HC die in their tanks if you don't buy it fast

·
Registered
393 Posts
New World has a good selection and you can also special order plants (and fish) with the manager.Prices are high but I get discounts :). Pacific is pretty decent, I got some sunset hygro once. But you do have to get'em before they die off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts