The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking to put substrate in new tank. I'm pretty sure MGOPM is what I should be purchasing, but what if it is not Organic. What is the main difference? Also, should I screen out sticks or not worry about it since it will be capped with gravel? Any additives I should add as well.
Tank will be low light, non co 2... Thanks for all the info

*These pictures are not mine and I do not take credit for them*

·
Registered
861 Posts
The orange bag is the one I'm going to use, one everyone says to use. Not sure why exactly, I think the green bag has stuff like vermiculite in it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I believe most dose very small amounts of ferts if any at all. That's what the soil is for, dosing will make it last longer, but I've heard that they go strong for quiet some time without dosing. Mind you I haven't tried it myself yet.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
The green bag has fertilizers that are fine for land plants, where the containers dry out between irrigation, but is not good for aquariums. The fertilizer in the tan bag is slow release, even under water.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know most people use the Organic, just wanted to know why, so thanks for answering that question Diana.

As far as my question with additives, I know people add things such as pottery clay, potash, dolomite to Mineralized Top Soil. So didn't know if this was good idea for MGOPM as well?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I am going to add some clay and osmocote to my mix, the way I see it, it will make my soil last that much longer. Can't find any potash or I'd be adding that also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.