The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much says it all. Since I fortunatley have acsess to both, I want to know which is better to use. Also, do i also need a top layer or bottom lay of sand or something, or can I just use SMS or Schultz AS alone??

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have both in my tanks. The AS is mixed with flourite because I didn't have enough of either one to fill the tank. I get excellent growth (for a low-tech tank). I like the AS, but it's very lightweight, and I have to support stems with small stones until they root a bit.

The SMS is used alone in two tanks, and I really like it a lot. I also prefer the color over the AS. Both tanks are doing well. Another definite pro for SMS is cost!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The flourite is heavier than the AS, which is what I figured when I placed it. I tried to mix it a bit, but there's a clear demarcation with the flourite on the bottom and the AS on top.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Duh...sorry, SP. I was thinking...nevermind...I guess I wasn't!

I have less trouble planting in the SMS, so I'm going to guess that it's a bit heavier, but I don't know for sure. Both are pretty lightweight, and yeah, you'll have to be careful if you vacuum much. I don't pull up much at all with the tubing with either one, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts