The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking about switching my goldies over to the 55 gallon (currently in 29 gallon). So this would be my oppertunity to add some stuff to the substrate

currently have 3 goldies (so non heated aquarium if that matters)
regular 1-3mm size natural gravel
standard plant gro flourescent - 17 watts
no ferts - just big goldie poop!!
I have valisernia - growing like crazy, sword doing ok, and java fern mass doing pretty good

so the question is should I put some flourite or eco complete as my first layer to really help out the plants when I switch over and if so which one is better.

or considering the plants are currently doing ok will either of these really make a difference since its such a low tech aquarium, or would I be wasting my money?

also will either of these have any affects on the goldies ie will they eat it, or get it caught in their mouths when foraging

thanks

·
Registered
426 Posts
Though they are similar, they aren't just gravel. They will hold nutrients, which gravel will not. I went with eco complete because it doesn't need to be rinsed like flourite.

That being said, don't goldfish eat plants? I think you're better off skipping the eco or flourite, if you were doing a serious planted tank with plants like like to root, then yes.

·
Super Moderator
16,987 Posts
Flourite tends to be more moist and easier (relatively speaking) to break up than Eco-Complete. EC is more firm, rough, nearly impossible to break down. Both have their ups and downs, as others have indicated.

If you're doing a planted tank and don't care about aesthetics? Pick the cheapest of the two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.