The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to stock my 20 gallon long pretty soon and was looking for an interesting fish that I could possibly breed. The tank is moderately planted with Rotala indica, Blyxa japonica and a foreground of Dwarf Hairgrass. The only fish in this tank right now are three otos. I also have about 10 RCS in the tank right now also. I also only have a budget of about $30 to get these fish right now.

Here is a picture of my tank:

The only fish I have ever bred are live bearers and the only egg laying fish I have bred are Boesmani Rainbows, so I do not have much experience with egg layers.

I was thinking of some Celestial Pearl Danios, but I only have enough money to buy 6 fish and I am not sure if that is enough to start breeding/ fill in the tank. Also I have shrimp which I heard would eat the eggs of the CPDs.

Any other suggestions as soon as possible for fish that I could try breeding would be great since I am looking to get some fish pretty soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would suggest trying to breed some type of corydoras. I love those little guys especially corydoras paleatus, corydoras panda, corydoras schultzei (the all black ones), and corydoras reynoldsi. I've only kept the first two kinds and like how the last two look. The first two are widely available.

I've never tried breeding them (or anything successfully) if you were wondering.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have some corys (Corydoras hastatus), but they are in another tank and I have never attempted to breed these guys. I have tried breeding other cories though. They are really tiny and cute though and I can always get more

I have actually had a pair of Kribs for about a year and a half now and they always lay eggs, but the eggs always seem to turn white and never hatch.

I was also wanting to try bristlenose plecos, but was not sure if they would end up tearing up my foreground plants or not.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Well, you could try Zebra Danios or white clouds...

You could try the cory cats they are supposed to be kinda easy to breed. I haven't been able to pull it off yet even with 70% WCs with cold water...

-Andrew

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have you thought about just leaving your tank as is? You could have hundreds of RCS in there and use the $30 on a few fish (that won't eat RCS) for display purposes.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I would put some green neons there and not worry about breeding in that tank.
Many interesting fish that you could breed might damage your layout...borrowing, uprooting plants, etc

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would put some green neons there and not worry about breeding in that tank.
Many interesting fish that you could breed might damage your layout...borrowing, uprooting plants, etc
I was initially going to stock this tank with a large school of green neon tetras, but I didn't get to buying them soon enough and my LFS ran out of stock :(. So now I am looking for something else to put in my tank since it has been bare for several months.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Try any danio or small barbs (exclude tiger barb).
They're egg scatterers or depositors so they won't destroy your scape.

Your plants may help in hiding the eggs and fries so a few might survive the adults, maybe. If you're looking to really have a breeding tank, the tank should not have any inhabitants, including shrimps. And once the adults have done their thing, they should be removed to give the eggs and frys a chance.

·
Registered
712 Posts
how about pencilfish (i.e., , Nannostomus beckfordi)? they are pretty prolific and very interesting to watch. they are cheap, peaceful, hardy, easy to sex, active (males often display to other males/females), and colorful. i'm surprised people aren't more interested in them? i've had some spawn in quarantine tanks. the main drawback is that a small group will soon grow into a large group given enough hiding spaces. the ones i have prefer a dense area of fine leaved plants like foxtail with lower light levels (not sure if the eggs are sensitive to light?). it gives the eggs a chance to escape being eaten by the adults and plenty of microfauna for the fry to forage on. the key to spawning is maintaining good water quality and conditioning with good food.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Wow great looking tank!!

I haven't had much luck breeding anything but Guppies. And that took about 3 months to get perfect. Now I have babies almost every week.

Have you tried Endler's? That's one I want to try next for Live Bearers. They look good when full grown

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.