The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok so I've been noticing lately that my star grass and najas have been cut to ribbons by some fish in my 75 but I've never witnessed it happen myself i was hoping someone might be able to identify the culprit. The fish in the tank are as follows
1 golden wonder killifish

2 checkered rainbowfish

1 other rainbow (i dont remember the name of)

3 zebra danios

4 platys

2 pearl gouramis

1 veil tail betta

5 neon tetras

Atleast 6 bluefin killifish

2-4 ghost shrimp

And a partridge in a pear tree

I suspect its the platys but want to be sure before giving them the boot

Also if anyone can identify any problems with these fish living together please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

here's a pic in case anyone wanted to see

Also forgot to mention I have at least 20 mts and a handful of ramshorn snails

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
This is a reply from Kathyy on this forum not long ago...

MIne are definitely eating plants. They love hairgrass and red rooted floater roots. Mayaca is eaten and Myrio is pecked at so I wouldn't trust them around any fine leaved plants. They are busy grazers so give them something to do.

I know, it is better to underfeed so fish don't get fat and the water stays good but what to do about bored fish? Veggies won't make the fish fat, just remove any uneaten after a couple days so it doesn't degrade the water as leftovers rot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a reply from Kathyy on this forum not long ago...

MIne are definitely eating plants. They love hairgrass and red rooted floater roots. Mayaca is eaten and Myrio is pecked at so I wouldn't trust them around any fine leaved plants. They are busy grazers so give them something to do.

I know, it is better to underfeed so fish don't get fat and the water stays good but what to do about bored fish? Veggies won't make the fish fat, just remove any uneaten after a couple days so it doesn't degrade the water as leftovers rot.
You're talking about the platys im assuming?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have full size rainbows and it's like the bigger they get the more they rip away at plants. I have to make sure to feed them somewhat on schedules or they do it worse. Same with my green phantom pleco, if i don't feed zucchini and squash slices every few days he will devour half of a plant overnight. They're keeping me in check lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.