The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a 46 gallon.... I don't have large budget for this.. so I'm trying to stay around or under $70.... I tend to lean towards HOB filters... but if someone has better suggestions... I'll check them all out at the store after I get over this flu... Cheaper is better lol...

·
Registered
712 Posts
HOB are the most cost effective. However, HOB's are loud, they are unsightly and if you ever plan to inject CO2, they will hamper your efforts to provide CO2 to your plants without taking extra precautions/steps. Also, you have less filter media and filter surface area and you must exchange filter pads frequently. They do provide for good surface agitation - good for brining O2 into your tank.

Canister's take a much larger initial investment. However, they are much more quiet and have much less of a visible footprint as you can hide the canister and even get glass lily pipes to mask the piping. They have much more filter media capacity, do not require frequent filter media changes (in fact you don't have to do anything but for once or twice a year) and they are better suited for CO2 injection. They do also provide for better water flow throughout your tank than a standard HOB.

My advice - go Canister. For a 46, you should be looking at a Eheim 2217 or equivalent with other brands at the very least.

Good luck!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I didn't see the $70 price range..sorry about that. Unfortunately, for $70 you're not likely to get an Eheim canister filter appropriate for a 46G (maybe a used one).

Like RandomMan suggested, look into SunSun, they are much cheaper and generally have positive reviews. They may not be Eheims but I hear are plenty worth it - great bang for the buck.

I would first try to find a canister filter in your price range before jumping to HOB.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
for that price a sun sun would be much bettew than a hob!! there an tons of people that have used them use the search icon an see for yourself. hob filters are just to loud had at least 5 an wouldnt get another vs a canister!!

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
I didn't see the $70 price range..sorry about that. Unfortunately, for $70 you're not likely to get an Eheim canister filter appropriate for a 46G (maybe a used one).

Like RandomMan suggested, look into SunSun, they are much cheaper and generally have positive reviews. They may not be Eheims but I hear are plenty worth it - great bang for the buck.

I would first try to find a canister filter in your price range before jumping to HOB.
Are you a member of SCAPE? (Southern Ca aquatic plant enthusiast). If you are patience, some member sells new Ehiem Canister filter. I got my 2213 for about $65. Brand new.

I have Eheim Ecco 2234, brand new. Around $70 on e-b-a-y.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well... to be honest the HOBs arent all that loud to me.. in fact I can't hear them aty all. I have a fan running 24/7 365 days a year so... Plus where the tank will be you wouldnt be able to see it at all... I was looking at the penguin series today but dont know much about it...
I'll look around to see if I find any cheap canisters... Also no I am not a member of Scape... I didn't know it existed lol...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.