The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Do you mean room under the stand or actually next to the aquarium? Some people make or buy a table that fits over the filter, place it next to the tank and then cover with a tablecloth to hide the filter.

Reactions: AceFish

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi @dfarr67

You didn't state the size tank you where you are planning to use the filter. Since you are looking at an FX series I am going to guess it is fairly large. Personally I prefer using two (or three) smaller filters on a tank rather than one larger one. Why? So if the time comes that I need to do a complete replacement of all of the sponges and biological media in a filter I don't lose my nitrogen cycle because the other filter still has the beneficial bacteria doing the job. For example for my 75 gallon I run three (3) filters. Two are Marineland 350 Magnum filters (350 gph each) which are just running mechanical filtration (filter sleeves) and the other is a Fluval 307 (300 gph) which contains the biological media (Biohome Ultimate) along with the standard Fluval sponges. It is the tallest that fits under the tank with some space to spare. When the Fluval filters are back in stock I will be adding a second Fluval 307 with the Biohome Ultimate media as well. Why do I have 1000 gph on a 75 gallon tank? The juvies I have in there are big eaters (and poopers) and I want to keep my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels low. Here is my 75 gallon. -Roy

Symphysodon aequifasciatus (Red Spot Green Discus) juvies

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was kind of shocked to see the big FX for sale at petco. Over $400. Not on sale,just for sale.
My sage advice? The old saw of "The filter hard to get to goes uncared for". True as can be. Multiple canisters might sound like backup...but now you have 3x to take apart,wash,prefilters,etc.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was kind of shocked to see the big FX for sale at petco. Over $400. Not on sale,just for sale.
My sage advice? The old saw of "The filter hard to get to goes uncared for". True as can be. Multiple canisters might sound like backup...but now you have 3x to take apart,wash,prefilters,etc.
This was exactly it for me. I had an Eheim 2217 and 2215 running on my tank for years and recently disassembled both in favor of a Tidal HOB. I understand they're less popular in planted tanks but I've been decently happy with it so far.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
135 gallon tall planted. Inflow in/out of tank are limited to one each.
Currently have a Hydor 500 and Sicce 500 in series with Hydor (mech on bottom with various grades of foam throughout), Sicce full of bio. Had to put Sicce Voyager in tank to increase flow around tank. I know I could plumb things different- but the idea was to minimise maintenance to Hydor primarily. Also these are pushing through a UV sterilizer and a homemade CO2/inline heater cerges reactor. Tank is built into wall with cabinet underneath- really no option to cleany add another table. Have looked at FX6 and Eheim equivalent and I'm 2in short on depth- I guess I could cut out the back but would prefer not to. Another option would be to add an inline and possibly remove both impellers- but said pumps are $$ too. Would also prefer to avoid HOB filters as tank is fully viewable front and back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.