The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never get tired of that topic, do ya?

I would like to get a large filter that will get rare servicing because I'm lazy. Has anyone been able to compare the Eheim ProIII with the 2260?

I've never used anything bigger than the 2217 and I really like the simplicity of the thing which I guess would carry over to the 2260, but on the other hand, the 2260 might just be too heavy to mess with...

Now that the ProIII has been out for a while, is it quiet? Reliable? Too fancy schmancy? Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

(Filter is for a lightly planted 4 ft. 140 gallon tank, moderately stocked but will become heavily stocked when the fish mature. Probably would be used in conjunction with existing Eheim 2217 filter because I'm just not likely to dismantle it while it's functional.)

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Check out the Ocean Clear canister filters. You MIGHT have to clean them once every six months. More likely once a year.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip! I've been trying to find some basic instructions on them as the whole concept of modular is new to me. I guess it's basically a canister with the pump purchased separately (with lots of hoses and tubes and stuff)? I suppose it might be fun to play around with, sorta like a model train set. I just have a feeling I'd forget something important.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
The Pro III (2080) wasn't an option for me as it's too tall to fit in my 120g's stand. I went with the Fluval FX5 instead and have been quite happy with it.

I have sponges over the filter intake strainers (to keep the shrimp babies out of the filter) so even when I was using a pair of Via Aqua 750 cannister filters on the tank I didn't have to clean the media more than once every four months. I just need to keep an eye on the sponges, which do need to be swapped out and cleaned every two weeks or so. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Choosing a canister filter

I am redoing my 55g and was trying to choose a canister filter for it. I have been doing alot of reading in this forum and it seems to be mixed opinions, with most people talking about the filstar xp2, fluval 304, and eheim 2234.

Can anyone help me choose a good canister for my application?

I currently have a 55g planted with red sea co2 pro system, 130 watt compact flourescent, emperor 280, penguin 330.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. The ProII doesn't seem to come in a big enough model, so that's out. The Fluval makes me nervous, having had Fluvals before. I'm sure it's better than the old ones, isn't it? Is it quiet?

I'm not terribly knowledgeable, Preston, but I've had good luck with Eheims in the past. My favorite part is that you can't hear them, so if this tank is in your bedroom or by your TV, I'd have to recommend Eheim.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
If I had the room I probably would've bought the Pro III, but now that I've had the FX5 for a month I don't regret the purchase at all. It's a totally different beast from the small cannister filters Fluval makes. And it is quiet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts