The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a canister filter for my 5.5 gallon nano tank that has crystal red shrimps. From many post I read people use the eheim 2213 which is for tanks 66gallon!!! Wouldn't the out flow of water be too strong for a 5.5 gallon? The smallest eheim filter is the 2211 and it is for 40 gallons. Even that sounds too much flow. I just want to make sure if I should buy a canister filter or not before I buy. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
11,999 Posts
There is nothing wrong with use a canister filter on an aquarium as small as yours, as the output flow can be adjusted.

The rated output of each filter (in the case of the 2213, 66 gallons, as you have written) is an estimation by the manufacturer, given optimal conditions, and is usually not indicative of the actual flow.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's better to have over filter than under filter. With all the media packed inside the canister, the flow will reduce. You can further reduce or control Outflow using double tap. Then next time you decided to upgrade your tank, can reuse the canister again. Using rainbow or lily pipe will reduce your Outflow. There are many option to reduce outflow. Go for it, 2213 or 2215 will serve you better. With bigger version, you will have more space to place more media in your canister.

·
Registered
835 Posts
To add to that. Depending on your setup head height will come into play. Meaning that how high it has to travel up to the outflow. That can cut down on flow some too. Start adding inline equipment that will also slow flow down. Better to plan for the future even if the future may be couple years down the road. Never know what you might stumble on and wish you had something bigger. Also using larger dia. hosing or PVC can slow the rate down too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts