The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I currently have a dwarf hairgrass in my tank (not sure which species, it was sold as “Dwarf Hairgrass”), and though it’s growing thick and healthy, it sort of curls back down to the substrate instead of standing straight up. I’ve seen so many tanks with a beautiful DHG carpet, where the grass stands up straight and tall, but mine just won’t do that. Is there a difference between Eleocharis Acicularis, E. Parvula, and E. Belem? Which one will stay 3-4” max, but not bend over on itself and grow back toward the substrate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I currently have a dwarf hairgrass in my tank (not sure which species, it was sold as “Dwarf Hairgrass”), and though it’s growing thick and healthy, it sort of curls back down to the substrate instead of standing straight up. I’ve seen so many tanks with a beautiful DHG carpet, where the grass stands up straight and tall, but mine just won’t do that. Is there a difference between Eleocharis Acicularis, E. Parvula, and E. Belem? Which one will stay 3-4” max, but not bend over on itself and grow back toward the substrate?
the eleocharis acicularis is tall (more than 8 cm)

the E. Parvula is small (6cm)

the E. Belem is small, thick and compact (3 cm)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I dove into this at one point and don't remember all the details, but I read a convincing thing that a lot of the species names for stuff in the trade are likely misapplied. In the end I bought a TC cup labeled Eleocharis pusillis (the species is pusilla, but no idea if the name matches the plant) and have been happy with how short and straight it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts