The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 29 gallon medium/high light tank with pressurized or DIY CO2 I want to have an aqua soil base, and on top of that I want some sort of black sand. Does anyone know where I can find the cheapest, and how much of it would I need to make maybe 1 1/2-2 inches depth, i don't want to aqua soil to get washed around in the tank. :smile:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
pressurized if you can afford it is the best way to go. over time the sand will mix. since you dont need a lot i would go with flourite black sand.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
3M colorquartz, if you can find it. Where in Georgia are you? I bought some from a place in Tucker, but the manufacturer has discontinued it and I don't know if they'll still have any available.

$20 for a 50 lb bag, which is more than enough.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ColorQuartz/HomePage/Products/Buy/
I am having trouble finding the answer, but how big of a size difference is it between T and S grade? I found a place somewhat close to me that sells both, one is $25 and the other $30 a bag. They actually advertise it as aquarium gravel. Figured I'd use that for my 150g.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
T grade works for me.

Thank you for your response! I want *some* texture to the substrate. Not gravel but not dust either. With Bichirs and Cories, T grade sounds great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts