The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PH 7.6 or higher, GH 150, KH 120, low EI dosing. I've had success with RCS here and wonder what else might work.

Looking at some online resources, it seems like the local parameters are marginal for most of the decorative species. All things considered, "marginal" isn't good enough for me; I would want something that would thrive.

Separate issue: of the shrimp that could thrive here, which could be kept with RCS without undesirable genetic results?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
If they're a Neo. green though, they will breed with the red cherries and produce clear looking wilds. Any neo will breed with another Neo and usually mostly produce wild neo's.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Dark Green ones are gorgeous and being able to keep them with RCS would be a big plus. One thing though: the reference sites I mentioned earlier list a p.H. range of 6.8 to 7.5 with 6.8 - 6.9 being preferred. With the local water being more than 7.5, wouldn't that be pretty marginal? Maybe even contraindicated?

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
The Dark Green ones are gorgeous and being able to keep them with RCS would be a big plus. One thing though: the reference sites I mentioned earlier list a p.H. range of 6.8 to 7.5 with 6.8 - 6.9 being preferred. With the local water being more than 7.5, wouldn't that be pretty marginal? Maybe even contraindicated?
Co2 injection will lower your pH...

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Do you want these to just live in there or live and breed? Orange Sunkist are nice looking but need brackish water for the larvae, so they will never be able to populate your tank. I had my Sunkist in my tank with just tap water, pH 7.6 for a while until I moved out all my Sunkist, Amano and other weird shrimp that ended up in my bag from the LFS to my roomies tank so I could just have my RCS in it. I had a few clear ones that could have been wild reds/yellows and I didn't want them breeding with my RCS.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Get some active soil if you want to lower your ph. I use fluval shrimp stratum and it keeps the ph around 6.5 to. 7. Now you will have a wider range of shrimps you can get.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also take a look at Sunkist Orange shrimp and Malawa.
Is the Sunkist Orange the same as Orange Delight?

Do you want these to just live in there or live and breed?
It would be a nice option, but it's not necessary.

Get some active soil if you want to lower your ph. I use fluval shrimp stratum and it keeps the ph around 6.5 to. 7. Now you will have a wider range of shrimps you can get.
Just my opinion.
Interesting. Would that work with 1-2" of inert gravel on top?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I use flourite on bottom and top it with the stratum in my 56 gallon and it does do the job. It took 1 bag of the stratum to cover the top of it. I never tried it on the bottom though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.