The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
i wouldve said lutea maybe. idk, all crypts looks pretty much the same. there are SO many different species within that genus.

with crypts, does it really matter specifically what species? i'm not trying to mock you here, thats a serious question. either way, wouldnt you treat all crypts pretty much the same?

·
Banned
2,470 Posts
i wouldve said lutea maybe. idk, all crypts looks pretty much the same. there are SO many different species within that genus.

with crypts, does it really matter specifically what species? i'm not trying to mock you here, thats a serious question. either way, wouldnt you treat all crypts pretty much the same?
there is acually huge variation, both in looks and care needed. Some are tough to keep. Some get huge, some stay tiny...

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts

Lutea stays green and leaves are narrow, similar to the picture. Still, that image is not lutea. There ARE many different species of crypts but some of the rarer ones tend to need acidic water/substrate more to look their best. Crypts in general are easy and low-light plants. Some require a little more than others but are still categorized under pretty easy.

For me, I'm pretty damn anal about knowing what is what, down to the most specific name available. As a collector/farmer, you want to know exactly what you have growing. Sure it looks nice in the tank but the "not knowing" what that plant is bugs the crap out of us, collectors. Even if we're growing it properly, knowing how to care for it and such, it's just that sense of knowing what your plants are specifically is the thing that keeps us afloat and sane.

My 2 cents of why people ask what sp. their plants are :p

·
Registered
931 Posts
haha yeah ebichua, youre right. im really anal about that too, but i've just completely given up on crypts. i could give you the exact scientific names, common names, and growth requirements and like all sorts of weird things that you'd never need to know about all of my plants, just not crypts.

sorry dr. tran, didnt mean to hijack the thread!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts