The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40 gallon breeder with a paintball CO2 tank. I've been using a powerhead to diffuse the CO2, but it's hard to keep the tube in the bottom of the powerhead and the whole setup is just frustrating me, so I would like to get a real diffuser. It doesn't have to be pretty, just effective and preferably less than $10

Below are some links to ebay products that I am considering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S5-CO2-Diff...821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ba831315

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-CO...376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e63b922f8

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a HOB filter, not a canister, so an inline reactor won't work.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The only real difference between these two is the spiral of glass inside the diffuser. It acts as a bubble counter, so if you need one buy it. If not, buy the other one.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the area inside the glass bell fill with water so that the bubbles are visible? I do in fact need a bubble counter, so that might be useful.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Does the area inside the glass bell fill with water so that the bubbles are visible? I do in fact need a bubble counter, so that might be useful.

Nope. It won't fill with water. It will expel water just enough to have clearance of the output spiral thing and there will be water on the bottom no where else.

·
Registered
745 Posts
ebay item number:
130522096376 vs 170632876821
(they delete eBay links when they find them)

they will both fill with water and double as bubble counters (the "bulb" will be empty, but you can count the bubbles as the come around the bend) but you probably cant count fast enough anyway...get a drop checker instead

...still, doubt youll be able to get a high enough concentration of CO2 with that method using a paintball canister in a 40gal tank...look at GLAs nicer ones, the atomic intank deals...they have great reviews (I know you can get the same thing on eBay for a fraction ~1/3-1/2 of the price...but you have to search for them and they usually come from china/taiwan/malaysia so 2wk wait)

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-diffusers.html

or an ebay equivalent...they are cheaper
item number:260757476943 or 160576291011 for example

search CO2 atomizer for A LOT more

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The shrimp lab has those same type of atomizers for $13. I also found some of the same style on Ebay, but like you said, they are all from Hong kong, so 2 weeks or so wait for shipping. I may still look into getting one though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have it going in the bottom of a powerhead right now. It's effective, but a pain if I have to clean the sponge on the powerhead, and a pain to keep the tube IN the powerhead. I just want something that's easier to mess with when i need to.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi

Here is what I did - I hope this drawing isn't too crude LOL (if it is, you have my permission to laugh)!

Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram Event

I used a Fluval Edge round prefilter sponge for the foam. I cut it in half and it fits perfectly. I also fashioned a sort-of clip around the bottom of the clear tube made out of the tube material. I cut a narrow ring about 1/4" worth from the tube, then cut that in threes so I have 3 half moon shaped pieces. Then I bent one end on each of them so now they looked like half moons with a crick on the end. Then I superglued them to the inside bottom edge of the clear tube. This holds the foam in place (you have to "set" the foam into the "cleats" of the half moons). I hope that makes sense - if not I can whip Paint out again! :icon_roll

This was a cheap, effective, non-ugly way to get my DIY CO2 into the tank. I doubt a ceramic diffuser would work better for you.

Total cost out the door: $22

EDIT: I just realized that I made the yellow 1/2" barb look like it's going into the top of the tube cap. I just caught that. Actually, there is a small piece of vinyl hose going down into cap from the barb. The vinyl is flexible and fits through the oval hole in the cap snugly. The elbow, being brittle, would be less ideal if you tried to force it through that hole. Hope I didn't confuse too much!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.