The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which CO2 bubble counter?

2927 3
Hello,

Going through the threads here and seeing some of the Amazon reviews on Aquatek style bubble counters that screw in to the needle valve, where most have had issues with the integrated check valve, I've been thinking of getting the ISTA Intense Flow CO2 Bubble Counter listed on Amazon for $9.65.

I have already ordered SS-2C2-1/3 Check Valve from Swagelok along with other fittings to build my regulator, and probably will install a secondary one between it and the bubble counter, but just wanted to get feedback on the Ista piece and whether there were other alternatives. I intend to have the bubble counter inside the cabinet as I don't want too much hardware stuck to the aquarium.

Any opinions, experiences anyone would like to share?

Thanks all in advance for your input.

George
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
The bubble counter is one of those really simple things that we find useful at first but after a time many of us stop filling or even looking at it. That leaves me wanting something cheap as it is temporary and I also want it easy to deal with. I like the Fluval bubble counter as well as any for a couple reasons. It is cheap and easy as I just cut the tubing and place it inline at some point where I can see it while making adjustments. I also find it easy to place between the check valve and the tank so that it is simple to just barely loosen the lid to let tank water flow in to fill it.
One of the big reasons for liking it is that it does give me some hope of catching a failing check valve before the liquid gets into the good (expensive?) stuff like needle valve solenoid and I certainly do not want tank water in my reg! I like to keep trouble as far away from those as possible. Putting the liquid directly over my good stuff seems like really daring the gremlins?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich! My thinking exactly, so glad to have someone with your experience confirm my noob thought process.

I presume you're referring to the Fluval 88g? The Ista is the same construction/idea. The only thing I see different is that with Ista you have the option to either use the suction cup or a clip for mounting. Since I intend to mount it inside the cabinet, the clip mounting option would simplify things for me.

The only other concern I have is whether anyone has experienced leaks from the thread where the water reservoir mounts to the cap. I guess either one is cheap enough to just get one and try it out...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.