The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 75 gallon aquarium that currently has 2 whisper 60's on it. They are on their last legs now though and I want to go with a canister this time.

Eheim seems to be the most popular, and most everything I read about them is good. So, is this, The Eheim Classic 2215, the right filter for my aquarium?

Right now I have(but who knows in the future):

1 red-tailed shark
3 dwarf neon rainbowfish
10 tetras
2 gold dojos
2 botias
4 cories
1 common pleco (rescued)

Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have the FX5 on my 100 gal and it´s fantastic. Tank cycled in a breeze, it´s VERY powerful (watch out neons, cardinals and rasboras, they do get sucked in by the intake), maintenance is easy (you can close the flow on both intake and outflow), it has a special empty valve, take it out, rinse, put back, open flow again and you´re done. Only thing is that it might be too much for a 75gal, but you can adjust the flow rate. it is VERY expensive though

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have FX5 in 105 and 50 gallons and for water out I using a tube with many small holes that make the water not strong - result fish and plants have calm life and very clean water :)))

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have an Eheim 2028 and a Rena XP3 on my 72 gal. In the beginning I had just the Eheim 2028 since per manufacturer's specs it's more than enough for a 72 gal. I was happy enough (ignorance is bliss, right?). Then I decided to run an inline CO2 reactor and someone told me they restrict flow so on a whim (sale at Petco online!) I got a 2026 and installed the reactor on that and started running both filters on the tank. Wow! Literally the next day my water was so crystal clear I looked like my fish were flying in thin air! I since moved the 2026 to my 60P tank and replaced it with a used XP3 I got in a trade with someone for some lighting but the result is the same.

Bottom line is I am now a HUGE fan of overfiltering.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Rena xp series has a great rep. Prices make them great values if money is an object.
I would agree with that. My Rena XP3 does as much of a job as my Eheim 2028 does. In terms of build-quality and fit/finish I think the Eheims have it over the Renas but the Renas are not cheaply or poorly made by any means.

If noise is an issue I would categorize the XP3 as quiet but the Eheim as completely silent.

·
Registered
743 Posts
argee with everyone said here . one 2217 may not be enough and the fx5 may be too strong and make all the plants bend . if you want to get the fx5 . DIY hardplum the outlet ( make multiple outlet) so the flow can go all over the tank .

·
Registered
151 Posts
From a biological standpoint, a 2215 would likely be enough, but you might find that it doesn't move water fast enough to provide good mechanical filtration. A 2217 would move water faster, and/or a powerhead, airstones or other means to help the water turn over in the tank faster should solve that.
How heavily planted, and what plants you have, could influence your choice also. If your plants shed a lot of leaves, you need faster water movement to pick up stuff.
My 75 gallon tank has only Anubias (although a lot of it) which grows slowly, and sheds leaves infrequently, so even a 2213 works (have used it on this tank).
But if you are buying a filter to suit the tank, you may as well get something Eheim thinks will handle the job.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yeah the FX5 is quiet strong but u can use regulation or build plastic tube in "out" water from filter- I used black tube 75mm diameter with many small holes 1mm diameter or less, and then the water is calm ( plants doesn't move at all) and if u want have small fish(fry) u can put second tube in "in". That's work well. U can see in pics of mine :)
pic? :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure the 2215 would be enough. I would at least go with a 2217 if you can. I run a Eheim 2026 Pro II for my main filtration on a 75g. On the same tank I run an Eheim 2222 feeding a UV sterilizer and DIY PVC CO2 reactor. Both Eheims have been absolutely trouble free and run silent.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Rena filters, but I don't have any experience with them so I can't give my opinion on them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have used Rena filters (Xp1,2 and 3) and two fluvals (305 and 405). I'm only running one tank now (a 29) and I'm using the Fluval 405 and I think it's great. The Fluval 305 was working on a 55 tall tank for 6 years straight without one problem. They're very quiet and well made IMHO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts