The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that everyone has their personal opinions, so I am looking for advice for a canister for my 10g planted tank. This is my first tank - so I am certainly a newbie when it comes to that, and that is a consideration.

It seems like everyone likes Eheim. So I am considering either the 2213 classic or the 2232 Ecco. Other than the ease of the self priming feature of the 2232 Ecco - are there any other benefits to the slightly higher price? Do I need to buy additional medium for either filter - or does everything come with them? I will probably opt not to use the carbon. I also plan to get rid of the green tubing and inflow/spray bar in favor of a set of Lily pipes (CAL AQUA Fluxus System - 13 mm / Nano) and clear tubing.

But what about the other filters?

Fluval 06 - it may sound silly - but I like the shape and black color of this canister over the Eheim

FilStar XP S Canister

Finnex PX-360

Also, for my tank, based on some recommendations of the very helpful members of this site - I am planning on either a group of rasboras and dwarf corys, a group of CPD and dwarf corys, or a group of Endler's and dwarf corys. I like the first two options better - but I have a little hesitation mixing Asian and South American species in the same tank.

The temps in my apartment stay pretty stable (it is a basement apartment) - with mid-70s in the winter, and up to the low-mid 80s in the summer. Do I need a heater for the winter months? Will the warmer summer temps be an issue for any of those species?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,087 Posts
If it's between the 2213 and 2232, I'd go with the 2213. The Classic Eheim design means there's little to no way for water to bypass media in your filter. The easy priming bit is really overrated. Takes maybe ten seconds to get the 2213 going. I use both and prefer the 2213.

Media comes with them. You won't need to buy more. And carbon is typically only used when you need to remove medication or something from the water column.

Doesn't sound like you'll need a heater. You may want to consider a cheap fan to cool your tank if it gets too warm in the summer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again somewhat - you have been extremely helpful with my questions on this forum so far. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Im in the same boat, trying to decide between an eheim 2213 and a fluval 206 for my 12g Long. I keep going back and forth to be honest.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a difference in cleaning any of these filters? I have heard that the 2213 can be a pain to clean.

·
Banned
260 Posts
2213 is my first canister filter, really pleased with it. If you get the package with taps then you only have to prime it once, then close the taps to keep it primed when you are doing WCs or cleaning filter.
The instructions aren't good, but a quick a YouTube should find you a great vid on how to set the classics up.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
The 2213 will be perfect for your 10g. It is the most quiet of all the filters that you mentioned and will last you a long time. It comes with all the media that you will need. This is the only classic line that will provide you with a basket to put your media in.

Colors of the hardware going inside your aquarium varies from green (eheim), white (fluval), and blue/black (rena).

I like the green color canister of the eheim because you can always shine a light through it to see all the "goodies" in it. This is not possible with the fluval and rena.

Maintenance goes to rena, fluval, and then eheim in that order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts