The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I purchased a 75 Watt floor Lamp from Pottery Barn. Normally $200+, but this was the floor model and on sale for 65 dollars. I currently have it over my 10 gallon tank, it hangs over adjustable and fairly perfect.

My plan is to use around a 30-40 watt screw in bulb. I was going to use a daylight CFL, but I'm noticing there aren't any daylight Cfls above 27 watts(or at least I didn't see any earlier). I did however see some soft white and bright white bulbs between 30+ watts. If I can't find a daylight bulb, what would be my next best option? I wasn't sure if using a soft white would result in an algae outbreak or if that's okay in lieu of the daylight.. Sorry for the short story, any advice is very much appreciated. I still have one day to return this lamp if it's a bad idea. Thanks!:icon_lol::icon_wink

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My plan is to use around a 30-40 watt screw in bulb. I was going to use a daylight CFL, but I'm noticing there aren't any daylight Cfls above 27 watts(or at least I didn't see any earlier). I did however see some soft white and bright white bulbs between 30+ watts. If I can't find a daylight bulb, what would be my next best option? I wasn't sure if using a soft white would result in an algae outbreak or if that's okay in lieu of the daylight.. Sorry for the short story, any advice is very much appreciated. I still have one day to return this lamp if it's a bad idea. Thanks!:icon_lol::icon_wink
Here's an option ColorMaster Digital fluorescent bulbshttp://www.lightbulbemporium.com/eiko_05622ek_sp50_955k.asp

It has very high color rendering (93) and will have good PAR.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's an option ColorMaster Digital fluorescent bulbshttp://www.lightbulbemporium.com/eiko_05622ek_sp50_955k.asp

It has very high color rendering (93) and will have good PAR.
Hmm, that could be an option.. Just bought a 32 watt CFL from the hardware store. My previous lighting has all been daylight bulbs. Apparently this one is yellow.. My gf likes it, but I'm not sure it shows the best colors of the plants or fish. Does anyone else like the yellow over whiter lighting? This is more difficult than I anticipated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.