The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find th eanswer to this question, so here goes. I've got a 2x24watt fixture over my 29 gallon. I have been using one geissman aquablue, and one geisemann midday. I do have the original pink 'freshwater' Current USA bulb that came with it, would that be more appropriate?
The aquablue is 60% actinic and 40% 10K. I've heard that the actinic spectrum allows for algae growth, is that correct? However, I like the look of midday/aquablue better than the midday/pink freshwater combo. Also the aquablue seems brighter than the pink bulb. Any ideas on this, or does it really even matter that much? thanks for any info on this....

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Use the combination that you think looks the best. Those seem to be T5HO lbulbs, so you have enough light to waste a little bit.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I personally don't buy the "actinic light causes algae in freshwater tanks" thing. At least, I've never seen any hard evidence.

I agree with Hoppy- I think you've got enough light over your tank that you can stick with the actinic if you like the way it looks. I like running actinic over my tanks, I like the way it really highlights blue fish.

If not, go with a different bulb.

It's just your own aesthetic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts