The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
any that you can eat, they can eat...
So what about the forms? is it better powder or granules? capsules?
I'm surprised no one is selling bee pollen in SnS section.... maybe just a gimmick?

edit: Just read some nutritional information this thing is loaded with protein and contain sugar...

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I feed pollen and it is great for baby food as well as adults....at least from my experience. There's some controversy whether organic really means organic, but that is what I get. Currently I have granules. Kinda cool how it floats on the surface, then comes down like a meteor leaving a trail behind it. I only feed maybe 3 or so at a time. I may get powder next, but I am notorious for being slow to change my ways when I find something that works.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I feed pollen and it is great for baby food as well as adults....at least from my experience. There's some controversy whether organic really means organic, but that is what I get. Currently I have granules. Kinda cool how it floats on the surface, then comes down like a meteor leaving a trail behind it. I only feed maybe 3 or so at a time. I may get powder next, but I am notorious for being slow to change my ways when I find something that works.
Where do you get yours?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Same place I get mine I believe. I asked the seller if there were any additives in it and they said it was 100% pure. Has great color and I've tasted it myself. But I have so many foods I really only feed it once a week. I wouldnt feed it as the sole diet. It's come up on here before and on other shrimp forums as something breeders feed. So I just added it to my arsenal of foods. If you question the safety on it don't feed it. It's that simple.:). Tons of other stuff out there to feed. Any time you feed a leaf or fresh veggie I feel you are taking a risk. I feed those as well. If I had super expensive shrimp I wouldn't feed everything I do out of paranoia alone.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Yepper. Ravensgate and I use the same place. A seller I'm very pleased with is aristaeusproducts on Ebay. It's a 2012 harvest. I only buy about 4 ounces at a time. A little goes a loooooooong way when feeding once or twice a week or so. Heck, it would evenif you fed every day! LOL And I have roughly 20 tanks! LOL

·
Registered
422 Posts
Fresh pollen has a nice floral scent is bright yellow, orange, or brown granules, is shiny, not crumbles and is sticky.
:)
High-quality, fresh pollen consists of soft, fragrant, pliable granules that are neither pasteurized nor heated. :)

So the taste varies depending on the plants from which it comes.
Some pollen has a slightly sweet and nut-like flavor, while some pollen tastes bitter.

Bee pollen is the male seed of a flower blossom which are collected by the honey bees and mixed with the bees digestive enzymes.

It's a blend of sticky pollen granules that could contain up to five million pollen spores each.

My shrimpies love it fresh! :) me too :p

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I think I'm going to put the rest of mine in the freezer...but maybe in the fridge instead since it says to store in a cool dry place. Hmmmm. It still smells fresh and tastes fresh, color is bright.

I would just slap the Ebay link on here where I get mine but I don't know what's allowed. With soothingshrimp and sbarbee posting more info about where we get it, should be easy enough to find:)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was able to find it, about 4 bucks for a few ounces, not a bad price. And the protein appears to be somewhere between 30-55% which might be fine in small doses. According to some unverified sources, most of the amino acids are free, making them highly avialable, it also provides a slew of vitamins, and a small quantity of fatty acids. Also a lot of carbs. Does anyone worry about Cholesterol for their shrimp? From the realm of shrimp aquaculture, it appears shrimp can not synthesize it, and it must be sourced from their diet i.e. an essential nutrient for shrimp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.