The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
all livebearers are easy to breed,
guppies are simply more prolific.
What is easy I say? I believe they both are pretty easy without exception.
and,
Some things to consider.

Male Guppies only need breed once every 8-9 months to keep a livebearing female prego.
Male Platy's only need breed once every 6-8 months to keep a female prego.

Guppies give birth to around 75-100 for a large female per month. Huge fems can give birth to upwards of 150+ FPM.
Platy's give birth to around 30-75 FPM for normal fems and Huge fems around 100+ FPM.

Guppy fems give birth every 25-30 days.
Platy fems give birth every 28-32 days.

This is inclusive to SB's also so the mort rate is added in there.

Normal guppies live about 2-3 years for most people exceptional lives at around 5 years.
Normal Platy's live about 3-4 years for most people exceptional lives at around 6 years+.

This data is from my own 7 years of breeding all livebearers commonly found in LFS and online purchases.

Of course there are always exceptions to every base. I happen to enjoy them more than most other fishes and so kept very complete records back in the days I kept them.

GD

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Of course there are always exceptions to every base.
I suppose Endler's would be that exception.
young females shoot out a 1-3 fry per Month
older females birth around a dozen at a time,
and they only live around 21 Months, while
Endler's are FAR more active than guppys.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I suppose Endler's would be that exception.
young females shoot out a 1-3 fry per Month
older females birth around a dozen at a time,
and they only live around 18 Months, but
Endler's are FAR more active than guppys.
True!
I was hoping someone else here knew something about those.

Although I sometimes think of them as Guppies anyways just because of their interbreeding with them...

GD

·
Registered
79 Posts
Endlers are very similar to guppies genetically, but behave differently. When breeding, the male Endler fish waits until it has permission from the female while guppy males are prone to sneaking in without permission. So, geographic isolation from guppies was needed in order for Endlers to remain distinct.

This was from the research article that classified them as Poecilia wingei and is available from http://endlersr.us/

·
Registered
517 Posts
Any of the xiphophrous are easy to breed. Just put at least several females per male and you will have fry. Any less females and you will have problems. Best to avoid more than one male unless you have a big tank. All males do is chase females and fight other males 24-7. The young will feed on what's in the tank, so there's no effort there. The only problem is that mom is usually hungry 24-7 and will eat every one of the fry. Best to seperate them ASAP into another tank.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My Platies have babies all the time. I current have maybe 80 born last week in a 10 gallon. And yes there are hardy.
What are you looking to do with these?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think the key to breeding either one successfully is not keeping them with fish who tend to eat the fry after birth (almost anything, including the parents) and the use of some type of breeding grass--guppy grass, java moss, etc.

Kev.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts