The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using NilocG's Thrive+ for my planted tank and have had great results. I'm dosing it every other day with weekly 50% water changes which is essentially the EI method. Now that my plants are well grown in, I want to reduce growth a bit and bring out the red in the rotala h'ra which is currently a yellow/orange at this point. I'm currently running a Chihiros wrgb2 about 5" above the water line at 70% intensity, 7 hours a day with co2.

I set up the tank in December with Amazonia Ver2 but intentionally didn't add the supplemental tabs knowing I would want to go lean and get the reds. Should I switch away from Thrive+ knowing it provides KNO3, and instead go with a lean option like Tropica Specialized Nutrition? Should I increase my photoperiod, increase water changes? I worry about increasing the light since this seems to be the maximum while keeping algae at low levels. My goal is to use an all-in-one opposed to multiple bottles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
nitrate limitation is one way to get some plants red. h'ra is one. aquasoil should provide some nitrogen if needed by other plants. select an all in one with 0 nitrate. i don't think you need to make any changes, especially since you don't have any algae. just watch your plants for the first couple of weeks. you might want to ramp down the ferts over a period of a week or so.

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It's good to know I'm not missing anything crucial, thanks for the guidance. I've only ever grown green and brown plants so this is all new to me haha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts