The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, looks like my RCS have come up MIA, darn! I just realized it today, I haven't seen the cute little stinkers in awhile. It's hard to see in there, but still...
So, could my Betta trio have eaten them? What about Green Cory or small Angels? My guess is 'yep', but there's so many hiding areas, nearly no swimming room, I thought they'd make it.
Will Platy eat them? Can they survive in a bare bottom tank??
Oh! I found two in my moss! =D But w/e, I think I should buy more. Is it too cold to have RCS and Oto cats shipped to me??

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Platys, probably not. I have adults with my platies and they are fine. Betta's certainly possible, my betta decimated shrimp before. Angels, almost for sure. Angels are actually cichlids.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
with that family in the tank, i wouldnt recommend buying anymore dwarf shrimp unless you were purposely feeding them to your fish.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Angels were in there for grow out, since my lfs only sells dime size babies now...
I moved them last night, since I was finally able to catch my evil female Opaline Gourami. She was picking fights with my BGK.
So, Angels moved into the 110g, female Opy moved into the bare 20g with the platy. There was a male Opy in that tank, he was moved into the 40g, where the shrimp are.

So Betta might be nibbling them...ehh. I really can't move those into the 110g and the 20g is only a wintering tank for the platy...And now the Opy might nibble the shrimp.
Makes me miss my original male Opy, he only ate what I gave him and baby fish loved him, he never even looked at shrimp of any size...

·
Registered
993 Posts
I was joking...
Haha didn't realize that! :flick:

Babies, yes, adults, probably not.
It's always on a case-by-case basis. I've watched cardinal and glo-light tetras gang up and rip a full-grown RCS female apart, while a local forum member have RCS breeding in a smaller tank with cardinals. A friend of mine who is a very good CRS breeder told me that CPD's will eat baby CRS, while you will see some folks here on TPT claim them to be shrimp-safe.

The only fish that (I think) everyone will agree to be shrimp-safe would be otocinclus catfish. Anything else is a gamble.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My parents have ~6 cherry shrimp in their endler tank. We thought they were all gone until we cleaned the tank. They were hiding under this structure we made for the endler fry. They could be hiding =P

·
Registered
844 Posts
My parents have ~6 cherry shrimp in their endler tank. We thought they were all gone until we cleaned the tank. They were hiding under this structure we made for the endler fry. They could be hiding =P
hiding all their lives...

in their nature habitat...u see them out and about pretty much on the bottom floor

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have 20 adult and a number of baby shrimp in a planted 11 gallon tank and only rarely see any shrimp unless I sit still and watch, so it's possible that they are there. I've noticed that the shrimp are sensitive to noise/vibration so when I walk over to the tank they opt for stealth mode.
The other possiblity is...
and somebody correct me if i'm wrong shrimp live an max or average (?) of 18 months, so if you bought adults, maybe it's the natural mortality of the adults but the babies are getting eaten by the fish and thus little by little fewer shrimp?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts