The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay, my first post here.
I was wondering where can I get the best brine shrimps? I have many fry that eat like pigs and I need BBS with excellent hatch rates.
I was planning to get some from brineshrimpdirect, but some guys at a forum about angel fish said that brine shrimp direct is expensive and of a low quality and they recommended some thing called "golden label brand" that comes from Taiwan. That brand is now out of production and the remaining items availble for purchase are extremely expensive ($50 per can). There is some really tempting offers of ebay from ppl in Taiwan.
what do you recommend ?? did any have a personal experience that wants to share ??
Thanks all

·
Registered
518 Posts
A while back, I bought from brineshrimpdirect.com their german made hatchery and a can of eggs. I hatch every day a new batch mainly for my Boraras, but all other fish, including chain loaches are very fond of fresh nauplii.

I start a new batch every evening, about 9 o'clock in very cold water and by 3 P.M. of the following day most eggs are hatched out. The little basked in the open part of the hatchery collects most of the nauplii, but I still 'fish' out the rest with an eye dropper.

There is no air pump involved, and the empty shells don't contaminate hatched nauplii, which otherwise could proove disastrous to any fry. To faciliate collection of nauplii in the basket, I maintain a little 'night light' plugged up just next, and a bit over the hatchery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's nice, I use the traditional cone shaped hatchery, I got a half dozen of these, starting 2 cultures every day, I decapsulate the shells, so I have no problem harvesting the nauplii. I wonder if the can you bought from brine shrimp direct is the best quality ever, is it really the best brine shrimp you can get ?? have you tried any other brand and found BSD to be the best, or at least better than the one you used before ?

·
Registered
518 Posts
They have a few grades of canned eggs, and the price vary according to % of hatchability. Check that on their page or talk to them directly. I bought the
'mid-priced' eggs and I'm happy with what I see is hatched every day. One can will suffice me for a year or more - that is all I can convey to you on the subject.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
San Francisco Bay Brand web site sucks a big time!!!
I guess I'll give the Taiwan guy a chance and see what will happen. Many ppl say these Asian eggs are superior some how. Besides the seller (Joe) has a pic of every brand he sells after hatching, the $33 can seems to be really doing fine. Many ppl say that this dude is trustful. Problem is delivery will take up to 2 weeks or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts