The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting my up my largest aquarium ever in December. It's only 36 gallons, but that's huge to me. I'm going to actually try and scape this one, so I nee rocks for the hardscape. I couldn't order something like that online due to the lack of control (I'm a freak like that). So I'm stuck getting them locally. The rivers and lakes here are all artificial, or filled with sewage. And all the fish stores 'round here only carry lava rock, and lace rock, and slate. Which, while I use all of them often, they kinda don't suit my purpose. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I could try looking locally for aquarium safe rocks for my hardscape?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Here is a thread I made about this particular topic not too long ago. Most areas that have runoff (ditches, ponds, streams, etc) will have suitable rocks to snag and bust up to suit your needs. Make sure you ask the owner's permission if it's private property, though. Make sure you wash the rock well also. If you don't trust this kind of rock, landscaping companies usually sell them by the ton but I know the one I stopped by offered to let me pick some out for a few bucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any tips to "bust up" larger rocks? I tried throwing it against the cement floor and only made a small hole in the floor. :icon_redf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts