The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an oak stand for a 75 gallon tank. Since this unicorn is no longer readily available, I am looking into having a local cabinetry guy build it. While I am at it, I would like it to be kind of pretty, maybe a couple of shelves, whatever. Most importantly, strong and designed to handle the job.
In any event, where might I find aquarium stand plans that I can share with the builder?
Please point me in the right direction.
Thank you. :0)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'd like to have some blueprint type plans that I can give to him.

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
Well, I'd like to have some blueprint type plans that I can give to him.

There are a lot.
Contrary to the paranoia implied in many DIY aquarium designs, you do not need to build your tank stand out of landscape timbers, fenceposts, or even 2x4"s and 3/4" plywood, IF (and that is a big "if") you distribute the load and take into consideration the direction of force on the stand when deciding howthe joints will come together.

Attachments

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
114 Posts
I need an oak stand for a 75 gallon tank. Since this unicorn is no longer readily available, I am looking into having a local cabinetry guy build it. While I am at it, I would like it to be kind of pretty, maybe a couple of shelves, whatever. Most importantly, strong and designed to handle the job.
In any event, where might I find aquarium stand plans that I can share with the builder?
If you don't mind, let us know what the quote ends up being. I'm currently drawing out some plans and want to build a stand myself. I also wanted to have mitered edges and other finer details, so I'm am considering having a cabinet maker do it instead.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't mind, let us know what the quote ends up being.
I will be more than happy to share. But I am having a rough time finding actual plans.
Lots of step-by-step pictures, but not much in the way of blueprint type plans. :0(

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
114 Posts
I bet if you picked a style of stand, the height you want it at (maybe 28-32” tall), and the width and depth of your tank, that would be enough to get a quote. Since they have experience building, they would probably bring their own suggestions of how to frame it out. You may also want to calculate the weight of your tank filled, so they have an idea of how much weight it would need to support. Here’s a tank weight calculator.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Any cabinet shop worth their salt should not need blueprints for something as simple as an aquarium stand. Tell them how much weight it needs to hold, the dimensions, and that should be good enough. Make sure you know what's going underneath (equipment etc..) and take into account how high you want it to be. Nothing is worse than a tank you have to either bend over to look into, or get a kink in your neck from looking up at it when seated.

It will not be cheap however. I'm currently making a pine stand for my 10 gallon quarantine tank, and I'm over 80 dollars in just materials. Finish grade pine is going for over $15.00 a board for 1''x4''x8'. Oak is going to be way over that.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any cabinet shop worth their salt should not need blueprints for something as simple as an aquarium stand. Tell them how much weight it needs to hold, the dimensions, and that should be good enough.
You know, I think you are spot on. Step by step pics will be easily be enough if he knows what he is doing, which I suspect he does. I may or may not have been getting a little carried away with the blueprint idear.😶

Are any of you guys familiar with R&J Enterprises/RJ Aquatics for aquarium cabinets?
If so, please share any feedback you might have.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am sorry to beat a dead horse here, but...
The cabinet maker I have in mind seems to be quite the craftsman, but that is only judging from his work displayed on his website.
In any event, he says that he is not experienced in the needs of a tank stand. And if I show him plans, he can do it, having better knowledge of a fish tank's requirements.
I realize I am basically repeating myself, but if you guys run across some good step-by-step pics or pdf's specific to a 75 gallon. Solid top and center support. (Forget the "blueprints"😶 idea.)
I am having a heck of a time finding these specifics. I have seen some decent ones, but most aren't 75 gallons or aren't solid top or don't seem to have added support. I would much rather bring him something that he would not have to tweak.
Sorry to be so redundant, you guys. I am just getting frustrated and could use your help.

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
I am sorry to beat a dead horse here, but...
The cabinet maker I have in mind seems to be quite the craftsman, but that is only judging from his work displayed on his website.
In any event, he says that he is not experienced in the needs of a tank stand. And if I show him plans, he can do it, having better knowledge of a fish tank's requirements.
I realize I am basically repeating myself, but if you guys run across some good step-by-step pics or pdf's specific to a 75 gallon. Solid top and center support. (Forget the "blueprints"😶 idea.)
I am having a heck of a time finding these specifics. I have seen some decent ones, but most aren't 75 gallons or aren't solid top or don't seem to have added support. I would much rather bring him something that he would not have to tweak.
Sorry to be so redundant, you guys. I am just getting frustrated and could use your help.
I have included the Sketchup plans at the bottom of this page. These plans will work for an aquarium with the same footprint as a 75g aquarium without any additional plywood. If you want to put a plywood top face on the stand, you will need to take into account the thickness of the plywood when you are determining the height of the stand.
2x4 (2x6) based stands are overkill most of the time.
Key to aquarium stands is weight transfer from top to bottom.
No screws doing support functions that could shear

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would go to pintrest or google photos and find a design that you like. Figure out what dimensions you would like the stand to be then the cabinet shop should be able to take it from there.

How big of an aquarium is the stand for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I built solid and beautiful stands out of ikea kitchen cabinets that I reinforced. One was for a 90 and the other a 55. Still have the 55 after 25 years. Held all my Tech too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts