The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yall, I will be going to Arizona in July and as there are lots of vernal pools there, I would love to pick up some eggs. So how do I find vernal pools? Any roadside ditch? I will be near petrified forest, so are there any particular spots I should visit near there?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Can't help with how to find the ponds but I can suggest another cool vernal species to keep an eye out for. Triops longicaudatus, not 100% sure if they are in Arizona but they supposedly have a widespread distribution in America. Pretty easy and cool to keep, they used to be sold in kits as Aquasuars which I had when I was a kid.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vernal ponds are small seasonal ponds. I could be wrong but it seems like it would be tough to find a seasonal pond in Arizona in July.
Ya. Maybe I'll get lucky and there is one that somebody knows. Or I could like find a pond where vernal pool species used to live then get some substrate.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Check with local fish and game in Arizona. They should be able to tell you if and what species you can collect and where it's legal, though they may direct you to difw, if they have one in AZ. A lot of times in drier areas vernal pools are very temporary and if you're not there within a weeks time you will miss collection time. Good luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.