The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90g Discus tank that is overfiltrated intentionally. I have an FX4 and Eheim Professional 4+ but also use a AC110 on the left side of the tank. Due to it being in the corner AND having that side of the tank painted black just like the back panel, it's extremely well hidden and I like having the extra capacity and use it a polisher.

I would like to keep it, but I can't use it with the standard versa tops obviously. I'm wondering if there's a good online shop that does custom tops like this? Just want to allow it to be on the side while it remains on the side. Also if there's a custom net type of top that would work I'm open to that, but the ones I've seen didn't look like they would.

Did a few googles but didn't find anything concrete. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
One option is to buy some Twinwall Polycarbonate greenhouse panel and cut it to fit the opening. I bought some in 6mm thickness for some tank tops and it's easy to cut to fit around filters.

The other is to have a glass shop cut new lids that would allow clearance for the filter. You would need to add a lid support front to back to hold the top properly. I've used PVC Outside Corner Molding to support lids.

Reactions: Bettatail

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a top for the tank? Is there a reason you want a top? A lot of tanks are kept topless intentionally and discus are not known for being jumpers so long as their water parameters are good. Or at least that has been my reading.
I usually actually run rimless and love doing so. Haven't had many problems at all, but these are larger adult discus which are very very expensive. I know it's rare, but that would be a terrible way to lose a $200 fish. Still may consider after they settle in a few months later.

One option is to buy some Twinwall Polycarbonate greenhouse panel and cut it to fit the opening. I bought some in 6mm thickness for some tank tops and it's easy to cut to fit around filters.

The other is to have a glass shop cut new lids that would allow clearance for the filter. You would need to add a lid support front to back to hold the top properly. I've used PVC Outside Corner Molding to support lids.
+1 for Twinwall Polycarbonate greenhouse panel
And thank you both, hadn't heard of or considered it. And please forgive my ignorance, I'm not a handyman or DIY person at all lol. What do you use to cut the panels? Also, assuming most glass shops wouldn't want to cut the glass I already have? Thanks, this is helpful!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
For the TW Polycarbonate panel you would use a utility knife and a straight edge to guide your cuts.

It's possible the glass shop might cut your existing lids down but I would just have them cut new lids in case you want to go back to the original ones. Also no guarantee the old lids won't break when they try cutting them.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Also, assuming most glass shops wouldn't want to cut the glass I already have? Thanks, this is helpful!
If they were lids sold as aquarium lids then they are probably (definitely?) tempered glass. If they are then they can not be cut down to a smaller size or shape. There are ways you can check if they are tempered if you have some polarized sunglasses/glasses (search youtube for videos).

Anyway other options for lids include DIY screen lids. These are sold in kits like here. But you can also make your own from stuff you buy at a hardware store.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
If they were lids sold as aquarium lids then they are probably (definitely?) tempered glass

Errr not in my life experience .. They break like normal plate glass breaks. :)

Marineland ones are also a sort of odd thickness.. 3/16ths for 55 and 40 b versa tops.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
An option which is pretty cheap and easy to work but takes a little off the appearance is the light diffuser panels we often see called "eggcrate". One can cut it with most any type of snips/wire cutters and then for better appearance and depending on what you want, the eggcrate will support a number of thin things like plastic, etc. laid or super glued to it. Look around the craft sections of Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc. for ideas of what might fit what you want for appearance.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the TW Polycarbonate panel you would use a utility knife and a straight edge to guide your cuts.

It's possible the glass shop might cut your existing lids down but I would just have them cut new lids in case you want to go back to the original ones. Also no guarantee the old lids won't break when they try cutting them.
Gotcha, didn't know if I'd need something more than that, sounds perfect.

And the egg crate suggestion is a good one as well that I didn't think about, I use it on the bottom of the tank now. Think I'll go with one of these solutions first and then get custom glass done if I still feel the need.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
One point that is easy to miss might need mention. The regular stuff we often find that I call plexiglass is something that is really tempting but not good after it sets for a while as it tends to bow down too much!
One of those really cheap, simple, things that cost too much because we have to replace it?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've tried acrylic from the home improvement store and it does bow after a while. I've never had the TW Polycarbonate bow.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I've tried acrylic from the home improvement store and it does bow after a while. I've never had the TW Polycarbonate bow.

Cell cast acrylic is supposed to be less susceptible to bowing but doubt if that kind is in big box stores.
That is the type used to make tanks.

Reactions: deeda

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went through this a few years ago, I ended up going to the local glass shop and having them cut a top for me to my measurements, was VERY reasonable and done fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts