The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, where do you find your various aquarium substrates? I decided that I thought I'd look into getting some, but all the stores in Davis and Woodland are just sadly stocked.

Thought you all would be able to maybe save me a little time and know a store or a few places that actually have that on the shelves.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Head to the Bay (San Jose) Oct. 1st for the upcoming SFBAAPS Open House/Plant Swap. While here, you can visit Neptune Aquatics who sell all sorts of ADA products along with a great FW plant/fish section. They carry Aquasoil there. That same night SVAS (Silicon Valley Aquarium Society) is having their annual "Mega Auction". Should be a fun filled day here in the South Bay.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lowe's - miracle grow organic potting soil :)
Don't I have to prepare that fora few days or weeks though?

I thought that I had to wet it and spread it on a garbage bag or tarp and let it cook in the sun and turn it a bunch ... that isn't going to work in my yard with my dog lol!

I thought aquarium soil or the like you could just use right out of the bag ... and I don't need all that much for my nano.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Plant substrate or just substrate?

Cascade Rock in Sac has some great dolomite substrate, river sand, and some nice gravels.

I'm told that Tractor Supply in Woodland has Black Diamond blasting sand, which is black and looks nice. Lots of good nutrients too, but a low CEC.

You can also use Schultz Pond Soil, which ACE in davis has (if you ask). Lightweight (too lightweight), but cheaper than most aquarium options.

You could also try the John Deere stores for a clay-based substrate. Turface, maybe?

EDIT: Oh, and Delta mud. Ask Tom Barr.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plant substrate or just substrate?

Cascade Rock in Sac has some great dolomite substrate, river sand, and some nice gravels.

I'm told that Tractor Supply in Woodland has Black Diamond blasting sand, which is black and looks nice. Lots of good nutrients too, but a low CEC.

You can also use Schultz Pond Soil, which ACE in davis has (if you ask). Lightweight (too lightweight), but cheaper than most aquarium options.

You could also try the John Deere stores for a clay-based substrate. Turface, maybe?

EDIT: Oh, and Delta mud. Ask Tom Barr.
ACK! I think you done killed my brain!! Too many choicessssss! LOL!

I was hoping to start out uber simple just to get my toes wet just to see how it goes ... and thought that packaged junk would be at least an easy way to just kinda start off without getting all technical ... hee hee!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you want to buy commercial aquarium substrates, JoJo's has the best selection, by far, in my opinion. They had Fluval's Stratum, ADA substrates, Flourite in different colors, and a few others the last time I was there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts