The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody, I'm still planning my next tank and have some questions
1) If I get holes drilled in the aquarium, but will be using a canister instead of a sump or refugium (this is freshwater afterall, not a marine or reef), does it matter where I put the holes? I can understand the concerns with the tank draining into a sump, then all over the floor if there's a power outage, but since the canister is in a sealed system that's not an issue, right?

2) Do UV Sterilizers alter fertilizers in harmful ways?

3) Is there such a thing (or can one be made) as an r/o filter for the tank? I don't wanna mess with more chemicals to play with ph and R/O units are too expensive and take too much room to fit in the Condo that I live in.

The other questions I have will probably end up on the DIY forum later today. I need to take a picture of where the tank will go in my house before asking them. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Since canisters are sealed you dont have to worry about the tank draining. However, placement is also dependent on providing adequate flow so it does require some consideration.

UV sterilizers haven't affected fertilizers in any way that I have noticed. Others have similar experiences. UV sterilizers do seem to destroy Flourish Excel.

I am not sure what you are asking on your 3rd question? Are you looking for a filter that uses RO to filter tank water rather than tap water? If so I dont think its possible as RO units dump quite a bit of water down the drain for every amount of RO water they produce. Unless you are planning on keeping very delicate fish, most fish will adapt to any water conditions so you may not need an RO/DI unit anyways.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. In that third question I guess I wanted to know if there was a filter I could buy or make that I could dump tap water into that would filter everything out (effectively making it as clean as RO water) but would also not take as long as the brita water pitchers (can you imaging doing a 25 gallon water change that way?) and not take as much space as the big ol' drums that collect the water that the under sink r/o filters need.

Postal Penguin said:
However, placement is also dependent on providing adequate flow so it does require some consideration.
can you give me an example? I'm thinking of installing a RFUG so want the inlet hole close to (or in, if it's possible) the bottom of the tank. I guess my question is more along the lines of "Where should I put the outlet hole"? I want to reduce visibility so there's absolutely no equipment noticeable in the tank, so that would make me think to put it down low too, but I worry that the water won't circulate like it should.

If I put it at the top so that the water is forced to circulate up, that presents the danger of losing the siphon if I go on vacation and too much water evaporates. It also leaves an unsightly hole in plain view. Since I'm currently planning for the tank to be only low-level grass except for one Amazon sword, that would make a bulkhead placed high on the wall pretty noticeable.

Also, what about left, right, center of the back wall? Does it matter?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got a drinking water filter with hook ups for garden hose, instead of tapping into your pipe or fitting on a faucet.

I expect it works as good or better than a brita or similar, however i dont know if any regular filter equals RO. I also use Prime with it just in case.

i got mine here: http://www.pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm

i got a double unit but did not see it there on the link above. two singles (or more) could be attached to eachother by short hoses of course. This is a good system probably better than retail water pitchers or tiny end of faucet filters, but i cant vouch for whether harmful chlorine, ammonia, or chloramine passes through in amounts that rival RO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts