The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fell in love with honey blue eye rainbowfish for my UNS 75p 36 gallon aquarium. Anyone know where I can purchase these fish? Seems like they're pretty rare.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Or if these aren't common and are hard to get ahold of, anyone have any other recommendations for good-looking and "uncommon" schooling fish that would enjoy the room in my planted aquarium?

Stocking ideas for the aquarium right now are blue bolt shrimp, amano shrimp, honey blue eyed rainbowfish, celestial pearl danios, otocinclus, and maybe some type of corydoras.

I've got a Fluval 407 on the tank, so amount of filtration and water turnover shouldn't be an issue. The flow of water on the other hands...that could be an issue haha

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I’ve kept a few other Pseudomugil species but not the P. mellis. iirc they’re not as common as some of the others. I had luck finding all of the species I was looking for through contacts in the local killifish club in AZ. The killi people seem to have a lot of those small fish you pretty much keep with a spawning mop constantly. If you’ve got anywhere like that to reach out to they might get you pointed in the correct direction.

Other than that keep an eye on aquabid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve kept a few other Pseudomugil species but not the P. mellis. iirc they’re not as common as some of the others. I had luck finding all of the species I was looking for through contacts in the local killifish club in AZ. The killi people seem to have a lot of those small fish you pretty much keep with a spawning mop constantly. If you’ve got anywhere like that to reach out to they might get you pointed in the correct direction.

Other than that keep an eye on aquabid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm maybe I'll need to consider some of the other Pseudomugil species if it appears too hard to find the ones I was looking for.

Not too sure if Colorado has a killifish club, but I'll have to do more research into that.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I'm breeding (leaving adults in tank, so in small numbers) P. luminatus, and the males in particular are very attractive fish. P mellis is near the top of my wish list, but I haven't seen any on a list in years. Last I heard they were placed on the endangered species list and the ones in the hobby are all we will likely ever see. P furcatus can usually be found and are pretty in a more subtle way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm breeding (leaving adults in tank, so in small numbers) P. illuminatus, and the males in particular are very attractive fish. P mellis is near the top of my wish list, but I haven't seen any on a list in years. Last I heard they were placed on the endangered species list and the ones in the hobby are all we will likely ever see. P furcatus can usually be found and are pretty in a more subtle way.
Pseudomugil luminatus look pretty cool too. Maybe they can be a good alternative to P. mellis considering an endangered fish may be pretty difficult to get ahold of. P. furcatus look pretty nice, but I want something that is going to pop in my tank. Those can be a plan C fish haha

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
Someone breeding may be willing to sell you a group of males. The females certainly don't pop and I wound up moving all the males except 1 or 2 to one tank to ensure the females weren't run ragged. When the numbers are equal or in the male's favor, the poor girls can't swim an inch without being pestered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.