The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Unless you can find something you like locally you're gonna end up spending an arm and a leg for shipping unless you just want a small ammount. Rocks are heavy.

I like to go out (when the weather's nice.... stupid winter) and make a trip of finding local driftwood and stones to use in my tanks. I found a bunch of really cool lacey type holey rock stuff on a float trip once and filled up a potato sack. Everyone thought I was crazy until we all got into aquariums and now they all want my rocks haha. Lesson learned, if you see something nice, pick it up!

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Unless you can find something you like locally you're gonna end up spending an arm and a leg for shipping unless you just want a small ammount. Rocks are heavy.

I like to go out (when the weather's nice.... stupid winter) and make a trip of finding local driftwood and stones to use in my tanks. I found a bunch of really cool lacey type holey rock stuff on a float trip once and filled up a potato sack. Everyone thought I was crazy until we all got into aquariums and now they all want my rocks haha. Lesson learned, if you see something nice, pick it up!
Hi Edub,

I grew up in Missouri, that rock is no doubt limestone which will raise the PH and hardness of your water.

Limestone is not always a problem unless it dissolves too quickly. By keeping up with my 50% weekly water changes and doing water tests regularly insures I don't have issues.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
San Jose California?

Try Peninsula Building Supply. They have rock from all over the world.

There are many other masonry supply stores throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
If that is the San Jose you are in, I can post a lot more ideas for you.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Missouri Also has alot of granite, lots of limestone but also lots of granite. Too bad alot of it is pink >.<

1 - 6 of 6 Posts