The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy my stuff to start my tank.
Need to know the best places to find complete CO2 systems.
What about the glassware?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
www.greenleafaquariums.com I'm actually surpsied Orlando hasn't already called dibs on this thread, haha. Orlando, from on here has all the things you'll need, including full Co2 packages (tank, regulator, solenoid, etc), as well as a whole whack of CAL Aqua Labs glasswear.

·
Registered
169 Posts
decide what size aquarium you want first, or what kind of fish/plants you must have. once you know that, all the other decisions should follow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got a system from sumoregulator that I am very happy with. They have a complete package, and will customize it however you want.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Got mine from SumoRegulators as well. They were very interactive and responsive...and fast. Great product, arrived fully tested with good instructions and has been solid.

As for glassware. The size of your tank will be a factor in determining a diffusing method. Share some parameters of yourplans and folks here can be of more help.

AB

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... It´s a 75 gal. I want to put mostly med to low light plants. Got a 4 bulb T5 lamp that I can use with new bulbs. I´ve got the bulbs already.
See... my problem is that my friend will pay for the rest of the stuff with credit card, once the tank will be at her house. But she doesn´t wanna use the online form from GreenLeaf. I tried and they don´t accept orders by phone. Can you believe that?
well I´ll keep seraching...
Please help...
The ADA stuff is just too expensive. Maybe in the future...
I need to find a site with the glass ware, the scissors and tweezers to start with.

Thanks

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone else?
Any more places to look for the CO2?
What about the rest of the stuff (glass, scissors and tweezers).

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
251 Posts
You're pretty much out of choices (as in good ones) if you don't go with GLA as your one stop shop and you don't want to buy ADA stuff. I think you should really consider ordering from GLA even if you can't do it by phone. I've gotten two orders already and plan for a third when the substrates come in.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
For complete CO2 buildups (as opposed to piecing together a regulator yourself), Sumo as well as Rex Grigg offer quality builds as well.

For the "tools", I just use the imitation stuff that I picked up while I was in Hong Kong. Seems to work fine for me.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I am probably going to get flamed here.... but here it goes. I have three of the Drs F&S semi automatic system running for 4 - 5 years now without a single problem. They do need a little bit of tweaking but nothing that a zip tie won't fix.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So sad we have so little alternatives here.
Hard to find good stuff in the market for the planted tanks.
ADAs are really good quality but takes advantage of a small (?) market in the US.

Yeah, it´s just hard to believe that GLA did not accept the order by phone.
I´m still looking for the small stuff.

Thanks all.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
There's plenty of good equipment out there but you ave to peace it together instead of just looking for a all in one kit. I can put together a top of the line kit for less than a standard one-stop-shop all in wonder but I have to look around and do my own homework. It's all a trade off, do you want to do the homework and save some money or do you want someone else to do the legwork? There's benefits to both it's just up to the individual.

I like the GDA stuff and I'd recommend there Ultimate CO2 Regulator of if you can find a Victor Dual Stage reg for around $50-$60 on ebay then I'd recommend getting that along with a Sumo Post Body Kit ether way gets you good hardware.

- Brad

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am probably going to get flamed here.... but here it goes. I have three of the Drs F&S semi automatic system running for 4 - 5 years now without a single problem. They do need a little bit of tweaking but nothing that a zip tie won't fix.
No flames, here Ed. I have the same setup going on my 29; I just have a much higher confidence level in my dual-stage regulator, engineered needle valve, etc., overkill or not.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, welll, well...
In my position, I don´t have too much of a choice and time to search anymore.
My friend had to buy all the "heavy" (money) equipment this week because she is going to travel.
I´ll set up the system at her house, but will be taking care (100%) for her.

That was the only way That I was able to start that system.
She didn´t want to spend that much, so I had to go to the more inexpensive side to be able to get everythting.

Got a Milwaukee reg/solenoid/bubble counter/pH monitor with the 10lb aluminum tank.
Got the lights already (4X54w T5 Aquasun).;)
Got the stand, tank and hood, to look nice.:proud:
Got 4 bags of the Amazonia II ADA soil!!!:bounce:Yeah, ADA!!:icon_mrgr

I´ll try to buy the rest of the stuff from GLA.

I want to tank you all for the help.:icon_bigg

I´ve been researching for a long, long time to set up my 75gal planted tank with my 5 wild Peruvian angels.
I´ll set an overflow with sump with filtration materials in it.
Yeah, I know about the supposed CO2 loss and so on with sumps.

Any other tips regarding choosing for the right glassware, scissors and tweezers will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Got a Milwaukee reg/solenoid/bubble counter/pH monitor with the 10lb aluminum tank.
This particular regulator may cause you trouble. I would be very careful, as the bubble rate on the stock needle valve can fluctuate a lot.

Got the lights already (4X54w T5 Aquasun).;)
Quite a bit of light for a 75g tank! Be sure to keep up with the fertilization regime, or else you'll get an algae farm.

I´ll try to buy the rest of the stuff from GLA.
What else do you plan to buy? It seems like you already have most, if not everything.

Any other tips regarding choosing for the right glassware, scissors and tweezers will be appreciated.
There really aren't any "right" or "wrong" choices when it comes to this. Just make sure you get stainless steel for the scissors and tweezers, and that's about it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My plan is to use only 50% (2 bulbs) of the lights at the beggining. Than add the other 2 slowly. All with timers.
I´ll save some liquid fertilizers with the lights. Yeah, it would be an algae farm if I add too much. Thanks...

The stuff Iwas refering to was the difuser, bubble counter, scissors, tweezers...
Thanks again Darkblade 48!

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
You'll be OK with the Milwaukee set up. For years they were pretty standard equipment, and we somehow managed to aquascape and grow plants just fine with it.

Just be sure to follow the directions when you attach it to your CO2 bottle, and check your CO2 rate of flow/injection via bubble counter frequently. You should be alright.

Later on if you and your friend find you are really into the hobby and have a little more cash to spend, then an upgrade may be in order.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts