The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sump uses the really big filter socks, 7 inches around at the top, does anyone know anywhere that has good deal on them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
For new equipment, I currently go straight to Amazion them EBAY unless I have a vendor already.

I was checking out these filter bays on EBAY yesterday after reading the post from a member from the UK. Nice product, just don't see how I could use them effectively in my canister.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Bulk Reef and Marine Depot.

You can save a ton of bucks by making your own, though. I made like 25 of them out of a couple yards of felt from Hobby Lobby (had my mom sew them, though). Cost a total of like $15, including the cost of some nylon thread.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't have a business name and I order from them--usually gets delivered the next day. Maybe it's on a state-by-state basis or some strangeness.

At any rate, I've been using the Heat-Welded ones for years in the 4"x6" size. Never had one fail and they go through a lot of washing before I decide the material is too pilled and pitch them. I use 200's normally, and change them every other day. Once a month or so I run a set of the 100's, but the turtle is too messy to do that continuously.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know this post is a bit old, but those that buy from mcmaster I have the following question.

Heat-Welded Polyester Felt Filter Bags? Do those come with a ring of anytype? I need a ring for my sock holders?

or?

Heat-Welded Felt Filter Bags with Pressure Seal Retaining Ring? I don't think I need these, but cannot tell if the first one above has ring or not?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The heat welded ones have a plastic ring on top, that in most cases provides enough support and sealing, especially if the return is directly into the sock itself. The ones with a seal are better for indirect flow, such as you find on the sumps like the aqueon pro flex line. However, I use both types on my proflex 4 without much issue. I can take pictures when I'm at home later if you need them.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, perfect, thanks for the info. I just ordered 6 without the seal type, I think that should work fine for what I need.

I should ordered these a while ago when I posted this topic now my socks really need replaced, I have been working off of only 4 pair, and replace 2 times a week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts