The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with setup of the intake and outflow line in my 75 gallon dutch style aquarium. I get almost no flow in my tank because it's heavily planted. What can I do to increase the flow and where should I put the intake and outflow? Currently I have Ehiem 2213 that outflows into an inline sterilizer then inline heater then through inline c02 injector. Then it flows out a bar at the bottom center of the back of the tank. The intake is in the very left back corner bottom.

Help.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I always put the input and output on opposite corners on the back glass. 2213 on a 75 gallon is pretty small. Also, when you have inline sterilizer, heater, and CO2 its going to slow the gph even more. I doubt you can get more flow out of your set up as is. Your best bet is to add a powerhead.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Greaser84 for the advice. I actually have a lot of spare equipment laying around. My husband and I just can't agree on anything so we had to buy another tank for him. So now I'm going to set my tank up the way I want it. I kinda figured that the 2213 was too small for this tank. I think we outgrew it when we decided to try to hide all the other accessories.

Would you place the spray bar vertical or horizontal to the substrate?

I have another 2213 and 2217. If necessary I can buy something else if these don't work. My husband put purigen and carbon in the canister, which I told him not to but I lost the fight since he's the one who cleans the filters. I haven't figured out how to take the filter apart and what to put back in the canister so I didn't have a choice.

I have a powerhead that my husband took out because he said that it was too strong for the fish. So now that he has his own tank I'll give him the fish if he is that bothered by it. But where would I put the powerhead?

Currently I only have one light, BMLed for a dutch aquarium, in the middle of the tank. It's ok but I don't think it's enough. Especially considering my husband makes me put a glass cover on the tank to keep the evaporation down. But I don't think that I'm getting enough light because I'm having a difficult time getting downoi or any carpet type plant to grow towards the front of my tank. Even my tiger lily want to shoot up leaves to the top of the tank instead of growing low like I tried to train it to do. One of my hacks was to put the florescent light that came with the tank back in. I'd place it in the back so that the moss wall would get more light. I'm having trouble growing a moss wall, I think it's because it's not getting enough light in the back and the temperature in the tank might be a little to warm.

Honestly I haven't had lost of time to spend with my tank which is a good and bad thing. When I had too much time on my hands, I was moving my plants around all the time and not letting them grow in. Now that I don't have enough time, some of my plants like my crypts are looking awesome but for some reason my java ferns are turning brown and dying from underneath. I used to have to trim my ludwigia broad at least once a week because it would grow all the way to the top of the tank quickly. Now, I've got one stem left that looks like it stopped growing and has looked the same for about a month. I'm sad.

I'm having trouble growing water sprite, hygrophia, and lace leaft wisteria.

I'm going to do make some changes tomorrow. First thing is clean the filter and see about adding a 2nd.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The 2213 is definitely too small even with a power head. I'd swap it for the 2217. Remove the carbon too. It's going to remove your ferts.

As for flow, you want a nice laminar pattern. Easiest way to accomplish that is to have the outflow go across the front of the tank and keep the inflow on the same side near the outflow. The will make a nice circular pattern and the inflow will pull water to help the weaker return flow. Depending on plants and hardscape you may have to move things a bit.

Power head you want to complement your flow and not obstruct it. I like to run mine just below my outflow to kind of boost it. You can see that below in my photo.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you bsantucci. Here is my tank before I cleaned it today. It looks like I had a couple of issues.

1) heater was set at 78 so I reset it to 72
2) cleaned out the filter and took out carbon
3) my husband rinsed out the bio ceramics even though I asked him not to
4) fixed the co2 regulator bc it had water in it and no co2 was flowing into the tank
5) I moved some plants around and took out all the moss I could get my hands on

Now all I have to do is forgive out where to place the intake and outflow lines. I am not sure if I can do what you suggested because of the glass lid and canopy. So right now the intake is at the right bottle left hand corner of tge tank instead of in the front of the tank. And the outflow is next to the inflow but it's point to the right side of the side of the tank.

Any advise?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.