The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked in our local stores, Petsmart and Nature Emporium. They never heard of them. I think they are easier to keep and even breed then any shrimp. Just have a salt water container for a while to hatch more eggs. The problem is how to obtain the snails.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Plants kept with snails, snail eggs all over the place.
Nertie snails are not: ramshorms/bladder/apple/myster snails. Nerite snails do NOT breed in freshwater so there will not be nerite eggs on freshwater plants.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for replies. I have Physa sp. and rams, which I did not ask for, but got with plants. I though Nerite is good for hair algae control. It seems they are not difficult to breed as needed.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Nerites breed just fine in freshwater but the eggs won't hatch. I don't know of anybody actually raising nerites from babies in on this forum (require brackish) but maybe someone will chime in who have been successful. My nerites don't touch hair algae (and I have many different types of nerites). You want something to go after hair algae try amano shrimp.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Am I the only one getting the thought that folks don't know what nerite snails are?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
nerite

Most of the ones I see are about ~1" across, really round, almost spherical shell. Usually have a striped or banded pattern.

I've seen them a couple places for ~$2 each, so I'm guessing that's a pretty common price. I suspect most of them are wild caught, but I'm not certain.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Alpha Pro is one place to buy them. Also watch out for occasional sales threads in FS/FT, I remember seeing them

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
yeah, think people are confused what they are.

there is a thread on here of someone trying to figure out breeding and hatching them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's the problem with forums: Anyone who is capable of creating a screen name can post authoritative sounding (but completely inaccurate) statements that someone new to this game will believe -- and probably pass along to the next person.

Google is your friend.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for the link. I didn't know about the "above the waterline" difference between the varieties. Good to know. I used to think always above the waterline was cause for concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 24 Posts