The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all: where is the five gallon mark on a standard Home Depot orange five gallon bucket?

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
Not sure exactly. They'll hold 6-ish gallons, so a few inches from the top? Best bet is to measure to be exact. Got any 2-quart pitchers that have markings?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I actually tested this once using a milk jug but I can't remember exactly where the line ended up. I do remember it being lower in the bucket than I thought it would.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I actually tested this once using a milk jug but I can't remember exactly where the line ended up. I do remember it being lower in the bucket than I thought it would.
If I recall correctly there are a few protrusions near the top on the exterior of the bucket. I think the 5 gallon mark is just under the lowest protruding "ring". Might want to double check that if accuracy matters and exactly 5 gallons is a life or death situation for some reason.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Just measure and mark it with a sharpie. It is much more useful than trying to find a faint notch or numbering when you are in a hurry.
My bucket has all the standard volumes I use with different sized tanks, drawn on. Makes it so much easier to measure dechlorinator and fertiliser for replacement water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts