The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started around mid august, added too many fish, lost them all. Currently fishless. Dosed API Quick Start two days ago. Here is where I'm at today:

Ammonia: This is so bad, OMG
Aojiru Finger Plant Material property Font

Nitrite, OMG so bad:
Liquid Product Fluid Paint Plastic bottle

Nitrate:
Liquid Fluid Drinkware Plastic bottle Medicine

I am assuming I'm in deep battle with my tank right now. Should I be doing water changes with no fish in it, let it play out? Do I continue to dose Quick Start?

Heavily planted tank:
Water Plant Green Pet supply Organism

·
Registered
406 Posts
Colors are hard to transfer in images sometimes so I don't want to get into specifics on your test results, but it looks like things are progressing. I'm a hard no on adding fish until both ammonia and nitrites are 0. It looks like there is beneficial bacteria present, just not enough at this point. What filter are you using? Is there media/sponges for the bacteria to grow on? Personally I'd let it play out and test weekly.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would a water change like 50-75% to get the numbers a little lower. The tank should be able to cycle 2-3ppm of ammonia over night soon, so keep an eye out for that. Once that happens you need to provide an ammonia source until it is cycled. The nitrites might be a week or so before it peaks and goes down.

·
Registered
185 Posts
agree wtih miataisalwaystheanswer. before adding fish, do a final test: dose ammonia to 4ppm. next day ammonia and nitrite should be 0. do as large a water change as you can then acclimate fish and enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks like it could be cycled One water change isn’t going to fix that. Keep on doing 50% water changes every other day until you are reading 0 ammonia. Then watch your nitrite levels if they get over 2ppm water change. When you are reading 0 on both ammonia and nitrite your cycled. Then watch your nitrate levels you don’t want them over 40. It will balance out but you have to give it time. Water changes are your friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts