The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Red Comet was who I was using to fill my co2 tanks, early this year they moved from Northglenn back down to south Denver cutting me off from my co2 source. I have been swapping my 5lb'er over at Total beverage, but man my 75 gal eats co2 like I eat a hamburger. I have my 10lb'er that I have not been able to get filled or swap since Red Comet moved. I cannot find anyplace to fill or swap it that is open at a time I can get to. AirGas closes before I can get my tank over to them, and are not open on the weekends. The Hydroponics stores only seem to deal with 20 lb tanks, and most of the liquor stores seem to only deal with 5 lb tanks.

Any Ideas?

I am also willing to trade my 10 lb tank for (2)5 lb tanks too lol. My 10lb tank was hydro tested last year, and is good for another 4 years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I get refills at Jax in Loveland ($8 for 5lb and $16 for 10lb). You might call over to the Broomfield store and see if they do it there too. The guys in the hunting department are the ones that do the refills.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get refills at Jax in Loveland ($8 for 5lb and $16 for 10lb). You might call over to the Broomfield store and see if they do it there too. The guys in the hunting department are the ones that do the refills.
Thanks! I will give them a call in the morning. they are right on my way to work in the mornings.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Try weld store. I swap my 10 lb in a weld store about once a year for my 75g. How often do you have to refill.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Lafayette JAX stores do not do CO2 refills, BTW.
Apparently the one on 120th does not fill either.

Liquor barn on south Broadway. Call em to see what sizes they have handy
Way to much of a hassle for me to get down there, I cannot use ADX Red Comet anymore do to where they moved and their hours. This one wont work, but thank you for the suggestion.

Try weld store. I swap my 10 lb in a weld store about once a year for my 75g. How often do you have to refill.
They usually close at the same time as my office, and are not open on weekends, which is why I cannot go through them.
I run my tanks heavy with co2. And I keep my aeration up as well, so there is a bit of degassing that happens. I generally can make a 5lb tank last about 1.5-2 months.

I did however start calling brewing companies today to see what they may have available. There is a place in Boulder that does exchanges including 10lb canisters. They are pricy, but they can. It is 32.00 for a 10 lb cyl.

For those in the future that may be helped by this. They are Boulder Fermentation Supply. https://www.boulderfermentationsupply.com/

And then, continuing on with that. I found

Quirky Homebrew Supply
https://www.quirkyhomebrew.com/
They just started filling tanks, right now they can do 5lb cyl. for something like 5 bucks per refill (they fill in house) they are still working on their pricing for larger cyl's. i will keep going with the 5lb exchanges from Total Beverage for a bit longer until they get their pricing structure up and running, and then move my co2 fills over to them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Apparently the one on 120th does not fill either.

Way to much of a hassle for me to get down there, I cannot use ADX Red Comet anymore do to where they moved and their hours. This one wont work, but thank you for the suggestion.

They usually close at the same time as my office, and are not open on weekends, which is why I cannot go through them.
I run my tanks heavy with co2. And I keep my aeration up as well, so there is a bit of degassing that happens. I generally can make a 5lb tank last about 1.5-2 months.

You surely run your tank out fast. I am injecting about 3 to 5 bps and it takes me a year to use up 10 lb. Are you sure you have no leak or it is average of what everybody does.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You surely run your tank out fast. I am injecting about 3 to 5 bps and it takes me a year to use up 10 lb. Are you sure you have no leak or it is average of what everybody does.
I have no idea what bps rate I am flowing at. Since bubbles can be various sizes. I use the drop checker method and watching my fish. I tend to run it just below the line, making sure my fish are behaving normally. The tank is a high light tank. I keep high surface agitation to ensure there is enough O2 exchange as well, so there is some Co2 loss from off gassing. Generally a 10 lb. will last me 4-6 months give or take. The 5lb about half that, maybe a little less since I pull the tank just before it is fully empty for fear of having an end of tank dump. I have checked several times for leaks over the years, and everything is sealed. The current co2 system I have had for around 10 years or so. I started with it when I was running a 36 bowfront tank. lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
my 80g high light tank goes through 10lb in 4 months, fwiw.

i have a sump and lots of surface agitation, so lots of off-gassing i'm sure. but, co2 is cheap and easy (didn't realize how good i had it getting refills at Jax!), so i'm not really trying to maximize efficiency - just saturation.

just for giggles i looked into what would be a good alternative for me if Jax for some reason stopped doing refills. Wagner welding supply in Longmont will do refills on a drop off / pick up basis, but they will do drop-in exchanges of 5 or 10lb tanks for $12.

just wanted to share for posterity!

·
Registered
17 Posts
These guys refill my 5# tank while I wait. $15. Open weekends.

American Paintball Coliseum - Denver. 5095 Peoria Street Denver, CO 80239. 303-298-8573.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my 80g high light tank goes through 10lb in 4 months, fwiw.

i have a sump and lots of surface agitation, so lots of off-gassing i'm sure. but, co2 is cheap and easy (didn't realize how good i had it getting refills at Jax!), so i'm not really trying to maximize efficiency - just saturation.

just for giggles i looked into what would be a good alternative for me if Jax for some reason stopped doing refills. Wagner welding supply in Longmont will do refills on a drop off / pick up basis, but they will do drop-in exchanges of 5 or 10lb tanks for $12.

just wanted to share for posterity!
I went and swapped canisters at Wagner on Saturday. The canister they gave me is absolutely flawless lol. I paid a little over 13 with tax, and it was swapped in about a min. or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts